Logo

Fuel line troubleshooting help needed fast

milenine

I am getting ready to go on a fishing trip and my fairly new Nissan 9hp outboard dies when I connect the fuel line from the tank to the motor. If I pump the bulb and get some gas to the engine, then remove the hose, it will run for about 5 minutes on what is in the system, but the second I plug the fuel line back into the engine it dies almost immediately (3 seconds). Also, if the engine is running without the fuel line connected and I push on the pin in the connector where the line connects to the engine it also dies almost instantly (might not be related, just a test that seemed relevant).

The tank has a hose and blub that seem to be in good repair, and the gas tank lid is venting properly.

Please help.

What is your exact model/serial?

It is a Nissan 15hp, about 5 years old. Don't have the serial number handy, but it has an automatic choke, and doesn't have an electric start. When I plug the tank hose to the engine I just noticed that fuel pours out of the bottom of the carb. Then if I unplug the tank hose it will run until the carb is empty.

Sounds like you have a stuck needle, causing flooding. Disassemble the carb and check/clean it.

Back