Logo

79 318 Backfire and shutting down at low speed

Trojanjim

Hi,
I just bought a 79 Trojan F32 w/ twin LM318B's and Carter AFB's. I've been reading some threads regarding carbs, distributors, etc. I am having an issue with the starboard engine. Starts ok (with a little throttle coaxing) and runs ok. It will backfire (not too often) after running a while around 2800 RPM and seems to bog down a bit. Sometimes I can back the throttle down a touch and it runs a little smoother. If I try to run at idle (trolling) the starboard engine dies. It starts right back up but won't stay running at low speed the rest of the day even after leaving it off for a couple hours. I changed the fuel filter. It looked pretty clean and fuel was clean. Any suggestions on where to start? I'm thinking from what I read here that I may want to start with ignition. Should I try Jeff's "30 Min distributor workout" or does that apply to my electronic ignition? BTW-My engines seem to be idling high-800 RPM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It might be the distributor sticking, but those ARE the infamous Carter AFBs, Backfiring and bogging came with them from the factory--a no charge option! Eventually you will dig deep in the old wallet and slap a pair of Edelbrock 1409s on there, but for now I'd recommend the following:

1. Do the distributor boogie--can't hurt.

2. After confirming the timing is right (use a light and see if the mark goes up and down as it should with rpms), adjust the idle with a vacuum gage. Be sure not to use the PCV valve hose for your vacuum source or you'll waste your time (as I did once. Doh!)

3. When you have your best vacuum/ idle, add a half turn OUT (CCW) and both idle muxture screws.

4. Be sure the accelerator pump linkage arm is in the CLOSEST hole to the carb. You might loose one of those SOB clips doing this, so visit a good hardeare store first for spares.

Jeff

Back