Logo

BF130 - Makes rapid stream of clicks but won't turn over.

Noalox is used in the construction industry. Specifically, it is used on aluminum electrical cables when they are attached to equipment or distribution boxes (breaker panel) it inhibits corrosion which keeps the resistance from building and causing failure due to excessive heat (electrical fire)

Update: The problem was either the battery selector switch or one of the cable connections to the switch.

Last weekend I took apart all the connections on the battery and the connections on the engine, sanded and cleaned the connectors, applied Noalox, and then tightened everything up. The engine did not start. Last week, I stopped by West Marine and bought a new battery selector switch. I replaced the switch today, sanded and cleaned the connectors to the switch, applied Noalox, and tightened everything up. The engine started immediately with no problem!
z0722121910b.jpg

Here's an update to my saga. The motor reverted to its previous starting problems within a week of cleaning all the connections and replacing the battery selector switch. Upon turning the key, the motor would spin half a revolution, and then stop. I had the boat towed again, and took it to a different shop. They verified that all the cables were good, and determined that the starter was weak. They proposed installing a new Honda starter, which was approximately $1000. Instead, I brought them the starter that I had replaced before cleaning all the terminals. The shop installed the old starter, and the motor is now functioning without problems.

Having the boat towed from my dock turned into an adventure due to less than ideal weather. Kudos to TowBoatUS for coming out on the agreed date despite the weather, and for honoring my insurance for the second tow from my dock this year without additional charge.
a1008121236.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this POST !!!!! Its still helping others !!!!!! Heres the back story. 1.Today port motoron twins wouldnt start and starter clicking is all 2. so once again came to this forum while waiting for divers to finish the dive trip limped around with one motor 3.got home this afternoon charged twin batteries suspected they werent the problem they were only few weeks old.... once charged tryed to start still just clickng . 4. so based off reading other posts since I had twin motors I would break out my service manual and see how easy it would be to remove starter from other motor and see if fixed problem NOPE still clicking only. 5. so next was follow cables back from starter to batterys and look for corrosion , well I looked at negative cable to battery didnt look very good black so broke open wire brush clean negative eyelit to battery tryed starting and PRESTO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Houston we have power to starter once again thanks so much to all who contributed to this post almost a year ago and still helping others (I was almost ready to order a starter if could find away to test it)

Capt. Jamie,
Cool post. This falls under the adage that with electrical connections, cleanliness is next to Godliness.
Glad you got it sorted out.

Back