Logo

Cat 3208 not starting

tonykaralis

On my starboard engine(cat 3208,model year 1987) i seem to have a problem i cant understand!! Unfortunately being in the country i am(greece), i try not to go to any mechanics for most of my problems as the quality of labour is pathetic and extremely expensive(bad history). Please bear with me if i dont use all the correct terms and terminology. 10 days ago i dropped the boat back in the water after a month of maintenance etc, both engines startted perfectly and ran perfectly the whole journey back to port. 2 days ago i removed the port engines starter motor and took it for a service(sat and watched while they were servicing it), i put it back and it works perfect! i then went to start the starboard engine and nothing. All i could hear from the engine was a loud click,which i assume is coming from the solenoid on the starter. The engine doesnt turn or anything. Checked battery voltage(at 12,5),added a second battery just to be sure still nothing. I checked if fuel is running thriugh the engine ok,no problem there.Took off fine fuel filter,replaced it! cracked and bled all injections. still nothing. so i took the starter off and sent it for a service.The mechanic tested it and it worked... ????? i left it for him to check inside,maybe rust or something burnt/worn inside. If after putting the starter back and the engine still doesnt start what are my options?? Any other suggestions as to why it isnt turning over at all. I also thought it might be the shut off solenoid stuvk in the off position,but if it were that then the engine should still turn, it just wouldnt start. Please correct me if im wrong. Any help is appreciated.

i have replaced all connections on batteries,including cables and the actual battery itself(brand new cat battery).
i dont think there are any fuses. were abouts would i find a fuse on the engine?? my system is simple, i have the ignition connected to the engine and the engine is connected to the battery. nothing else draws on it,and there are no switches either. How would i go about measuring voltafe on starter?? starter(-) solenoid(+)??

Did you clean the ground connections on the engine?

I checked them as i have replaced them too! I managed to find the problem, it was the solenoid all along. The solenoid was clicking but due to rust in side it was not making contact and in turn no current was getting to the sarter. Replaced with new solenoid and everything is ok! Just thought to let you know for the future. Thank you for your help!!

Back