Logo

Evinrude 75 hp 1978 general discussion

JeanArr

Contributing Member
So im still busy giving my 1978 Evinrude 75 hp a complete makeover
because it had a crankshaft and bearing issue and now i have the engine completly apart:

- powerhead is of
- cylinderhead and cooling cover disassemlbed
- gearcase is of
- oil changed

I think that the parts i orderd come tomorrow ; a new(used) crankshaft, new rod new bearing,
powerhead gasket set, fuel pump and a new impeller.

So i was changig the gear oil and i turned the driveshaft when i felt that, when in gear there is a little space until the driveshaft turns the propeller.
Is that usual?

And does maybe someone has a elictric or wiring plan for that engine?
What is such an perfectly running engine worth?

Thank you

Last edited:
So that is nothing to worry about. But has anybody a clue of the value ?

Another Question would be what caused the issue? Why did the bearing break?:confused:

My gues was that the former owner drove the engine with to less oil. Even though it sais 1:50 oil ratio
I believe that is still a little to dry. (But why did just the one in the middle break)?

Another gues would be that there was a carburateur issue, so that the middle bearing did not get enough oil/fuel
and went dry and hot.

Last edited:
I would haver to see the parts , see the damage , see the overall condition of the motor.-Also talk to the previous owner about the motor and how it was maintained.------------No way to tell the value of a " repaired / rebuilt " motor from a 1000 miles away.--------No idea what the demand is for such a motor in your area either.------------Some areas of the land the rich folk want nothing to do with old 2 stroke motors and you would have to give it away.

The damage is completly gone? The only thing that was broken was the bearing and the crankshaft and
i have the whole thing apart; like really apart. I inspected every part and all gaskets are replaced etc.

Im gonna post some pictures. And im just curious about the value, because i baught the engine with my 16 ft boat
for 1500$ and i dont have the intention to sell it.

Back