Logo

A lot of play in steering yoke of my 280 volvo outdrive

raybo1967

Just got my top bellow replace and a water hose to , now i noticed the yoke and drive has movement was wondering if that is right.

Sounds like the collar steering fork bushings are worn out.
You'll want to remove the transmission, the helmet, the spindle arm pinch bolt, and pull the fork down and out.
The bushings can now be removed.

On many of these, the pinch slot is too short for a good pinch. I can't tell you to increase the length of the slot, but will say that it does help. Your call on that!

One last note... The steering stops are part of the spindle arm, so the arm and fork must be indexed correctly. It's very easy to end up one spline off, so mark the spindle arm and top of fork before you remove things.

Last edited:
Here are these parts in schematic form.
Collar steering fork is SEQ #2, spindle arm is #47, pinch bolt #48, the two bushings are #'s 11 and 12.
Don't forget a new V-ring seal #4.
7201.png

I talk to the guy that replaced the bellows he said it is normal wear , he said i could replace the bushing but i would have to replace the whole helmet and yoke because the bottom bushing can not be replaced . He said try it out and it should be good but if not he can replace the whole thing for aboutb 500 dollars.So i'm going to try it out and see Thanks for the help crossing my fingers nothing happens

Talk to the shop that repaired my bellows and he said it was normal wear and tear, also told me to try it and see how it is if i'm not satified with it he can replace the whole helt and steering yoke for 400 dollars

I talk to the guy that replaced the bellows he said it is normal wear , he said i could replace the bushing but i would have to replace the whole helmet and yoke because the bottom bushing can not be replaced . He said try it out and it should be good but if not he can replace the whole thing for aboutb 500 dollars.So i'm going to try it out and see Thanks for the help crossing my fingers nothing happens
Yes... I agree, this slop would be considered caused by normal wear, but it does not mean that it is acceptible.
Fact is... it is NOT acceptible!
When we have excessive slop here, the V-ring seal begins to allow water intrusion. Not good!
Plus it sure doesn't make for good low speed steering.

Also, he is incorrect regarding the lower bushing and/or replacing the entire collar steering fork and helmet.
Both bushings are available via Volvo Penta.
If the collar steering fork shaft is OK, there is no need to replace it.

I replace these bushings routinely for people.

This is a fairly user friendly job if you are at all mechanically inclined.
Sometimes the fork can be difficult to remove, but all in all, this should be a piece of cake for a Volvo Penta AQ series drive Marine Mechanic.

Ricardo I was reading this post and wondered if this would be true on a DPS drive as well? (When we have excessive slop here, the V-ring seal begins to allow water intrusion. Not good!
Plus it sure doesn't make for good low speed steering.)

Ricardo I was reading this post and wondered if this would be true on a DPS drive as well? (When we have excessive slop here, the V-ring seal begins to allow water intrusion. Not good!
Plus it sure doesn't make for good low speed steering.)
The 280 (on thru the C drive into the mid 90's) uses main suspension fork and pivot tube geometry.

The SX and DP-S drives are a Gimbal System drive.
Any excessive steering slop in the DP-S drive would be from a different type of wear or loose component.

Yes... I agree, this slop would be considered caused by normal wear, but it does not mean that it is acceptible.
Fact is... it is NOT acceptible!
When we have excessive slop here, the V-ring seal begins to allow water intrusion. Not good!
Plus it sure doesn't make for good low speed steering.

Also, he is incorrect regarding the lower bushing and/or replacing the entire collar steering fork and helmet.
Both bushings are available via Volvo Penta.
If the collar steering fork shaft is OK, there is no need to replace it.

I replace these bushings routinely for people.

This is a fairly user friendly job if you are at all mechanically inclined.
Sometimes the fork can be difficult to remove, but all in all, this should be a piece of cake for a Volvo Penta AQ series drive Marine Mechanic.

Can the steering yoke be removed with leg still attached & boat in water?

Quick answer...NO

Also, it is customary on this forum to start a new thread for a new question, and not piggyback on a 2 year old one.

Back