Logo

merc 1000 Movement

Jon Blair

1965 merc 1000 trying to see if there is a pin or something keeping the motor from raising and steering side to side its stuck straight up and down and for the life of me I cant find out why I cant move it need to tilt it up to inspect it, it is not power tilt and trim. Any help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Maybe it needs to be shifted to forward to release the " reverse lock mechanism " -----------------Salt water motor ? Has motor sat for a while ?

yes it has set for awhile ( several years) I have it in neutral now shifted several different ways still nothing is there something that locks the motor down while traveling if is i think that may be it just dont know what im looking for

Look under the clamp assebly and you'll see a 'hook' deal that grabs the tilt pin. Put her in forward and force the hook to release its grip on the tilt pin and she'll swing right up. Then free up and lube that assembly.

Jeff

thanks will be looking for it the only things I have seen so far is what appears to be 2 leavers one on each side that wont move up, down, in or out I think that may be it I will keep trying just dont want to break nothing lol

I still can't figure this out, does it mater if its started or not? I was thinking it should not matter but wow, nothing I do seems to help. I dont have the wiring ready to start it but man I sure thought it would have been much eaiser to at least swing the motor up!

Motor does not need to be running in order to release the" reverse lock hooks "-------------Look at it all again.------You may be able to remove the pin that the hooks go around.

You'll see something like this.Push the hooks up,usually needs to be in FWD,that should let the engine lift.If it doesn't,time to get out the torch and start heating.

PS the reverse lock rod in the pic has been removed,repaired and greased up.:D Yup I got a shock when I saw the state of it :eek:.Salt water.

Attachments

• mums camera 010.jpg
    mums camera 010.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 58
Oh freakin awesome just about when I was giving up on it and deciding it was not suppose to move lol. So I am assuming that the 2 levers one on each side that I have been beating prying and all is where im suppose to be I loosend the nuts on the bolt that holds that leavers but seems to be not helping ive tried beating them up down side ways prying on them everything they just arent moving at all I will keep tryng there is not spot that i can see were I can gain excess to the pins to just knock them out.

A few more.There are no bolts.A through pin with a small hole in it,a sleeve and the hooks pressed on, with a small hole,matching and held in place by either a split pin or an R pin.#45 and #46 in this schematic. http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/400_17.cfm .Check that's not #20 giving you the bother. It's not a '65 Merc1000,but the parts will not be a lot different.
If the pin doesn't want to be driven out,you'll need to cut it on the inside of the bracket,I used a fine hacksaw blade,and replace the pin.
When you get the engine lifted,to get the steering to work,you'll need to apply heat,lots of heat to the swivel tube.The grease has dried out.Took me the guts of three hours with a butane blow lamp

Attachments

• mums camera 006.jpg
    mums camera 006.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39
  • mums camera 007.jpg
    mums camera 007.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 47
  • mums camera 008.jpg
    mums camera 008.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Ok in the first photo on the left middle that appears to be the leaver that I am messing with trying to get the hook mechanics to turn is this correct before I destroy something!

The rod that is attached to the hooks runs into the lower unit and is spring loaded.When put into REV or neutral there is a cam in the lower unit that pushes that rod up and locks the hooks onto a pin.The hooks latch on to the tilt pin.If the hooks are seized,try and knock the tilt pin out. The tilt pin is the pin that runs through the transom brackets.That'll let you lift the engine.

OMG I finally got it guys I had to take 2 Ratchet straps hook one end on the leaver the other on the end of the motor on both sides in order to get enough tork on the leavers to release the motor geez that was freakin tough just imagine what the rest is going to be like lol so now do I just get a long bolt and slide through the holes on the bottom of the bracket to hold it up till i get all lubed up ? and also what are all those holes for is it to give it the right tilt in the water and again thanks a million guys could not have done it without u

"If the pin doesn't want to be driven out,you'll need to cut it on the inside of the bracket,"

I had a Homer moment last night.:eek: To get at the pin in the Rev lock hook,the motor needs to be up.DOH.
There is/should be two L shaped levers either side of the engine at the transom brackets.They are the motor support levers.They swivel around when the the motor is tilted.But I wouldn't depend on them alone.Either prop it with a 6"x2" or sky hook it to joist/crossbeam in your garage if you have it inside.
Yes those holes are for the manual trimming.There is/should be a pin running through with a swinging lever on one end.That is the pin that the Rev lock hooks grab when in reverse or neutral.

Last edited:
Back