Logo

2005 150 4 stroke, no power, no trim

scubajerry

Not real good with boat motors, so bare with me. Motor was running fine, never any troubles at all. Took it out, found a spot to fish. When we started to leave, no power to the motor and no trim. Got towed back in. I checked the batteries, and all the fuses I could find. I get power to the console, but nothing to the motor at all. I reasoned that if there was power going to the back, at least the trim would work. So surely its not the brain box, ecu thing that usually cost $1000000000000.00. Does anyone have any ideas that I can try?

Check your automatic kill switch that you can clip on to you if it has one. Wouldn't be the first time I spent forever trying to figure out what wes wrong and found that kill switch had been knocked out.

Time top start checking for lose wires throughout the system. CHeck you battery nuts (and especially the wing nuts if you have them on your battery terminals and crank them down tight. You have power to the console so check the power to the ignition switch feed and if that is good the exit while someone is turning the key. You may have a black metal bus bar in your console that serves as the (-) for all of your gear... your main (-) wiring harness for the outboard may reside under one of the larger bolts to that bus bar... make sure it is tight.

Most late model yammi's as rigged will allow the tilt and trim to operate when the key is in the off position. That is why I think you have an electrical problem somewhere else and not a problem inside the engine.

I have a 2005 F115 yamaha with the same problem. Power to the fuses, power to my instruments and accesories but power trim and starter are dead! If you resolved you problem can you share the solution with me.

Thanks.

A very common cause of these types of symptoms is a corroded terminal end on one of your battery cables. They can corrode under the heat shrink and then may power small items, but 'break down' as soon as the load of starter or trim unit is put on it. This mean you might see voltage at your instruments, but it won't trim or start. Best way to test is to put a volt meter between the +ve lug at the solenoid and earth and check for ~12.8v. If it is there, check what the voltage does when you try to operate the trim or starter. If it drops down without the trim or starter working then it is one of the cables or the battery itself.

hi....what I suggest check your main battery wire is there any corrosion or loose fitting and check main harness of the engine, try to start the engine
with another harness with control box if possible....

Has anyone solved this issue? I put my boat in the water, tilted the engine and started it up. It was the first time and it shut down. I turned the key again and nothing. Now the tilt will not work either. I checked the batter and I have 13v. The lights on the boat still work. Any help would be appreciated.

I checked my fuses and found one that was blown. Yamaha had a spare fuse hanging near the fuse holder. This solved the problem. Great information and suggestions on this thread.

I had a problem one time Yamaha F150 electrical issue and it was the negative ground on the engine block. It looked and appeared perfectly fine (no corrosion) but took it apart wire brushed and cleaned it up and everything worked great after that.

I am currently having a similar issue with a 2012 Yamaha F70LA motor on my pontoon. It has the 704 remote control box. I just installed the battery which I kept in house over winter connected to a battery maintainer. All boat accessories work, but the motor trim is quiet at both motor and remote. Turning ignition switch is silent too. The fuses in the motor check good. 12.7 volts at battery without any voltage drop when key is turned. Reconnected cables to battery terminals multiple times with no change. I cannot locate any other fuses within the wire harness going to motor and remote. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this motor and remote control that will help me troubleshoot where I can check for power?

I have the same issue with my f115. Except, my power trim button works on my motor, but not remotely. It worked fine when stored last fall.

Back