Logo

120hp mercruiser cracked block, need replacement options??

Dylansword

Hello all, I just picked up a 69 fiberform with a 120hp, 153 ci mercruiser inboard. It has a cracked block that is not going to be repairable. I know the old postal jeeps used the same engine. But I've heard that the engines are not interchangeable. I figured the manifolds, and brackets and such are different. But all I need is a new block. So my question is, are the blocks the same? And if they are not, what is different between the marine version and the automotive version. Thanks.

what is different between the marine version and the automotive version.
Marine cam, SS head gasket and brass core plugs. Technology has changed substantially since 1969. I agree w/Master Mechanic...you can find a Merc. reman. 3.0L longblock and then just buy a new manifold, carb, starter and associated brackets.

Or buy a complete fresh water engine... and drop her in maybe 1000 bucks. To rebuild a 3.0 just doesn't pay a brand new one comes in cheaper then rebuilding.

Marine cam, SS head gasket and brass core plugs.
so, the blocks are the same then???

I have thought about putting a 3.0 in but the problem is finding one. As I probably should have menchioned before, I am trying to get it running as cheap as possible, as I got the boat for dirt cheap.

I am trying to get it running as cheap as possible, as I got the boat for dirt cheap.

Ayuh,.... Boats, 'n Boatin' Ain't cheap....

the 2.5l motors used in cars, 'n trucks is a completely different casting...

Back