Logo

63 65 hp mercury 4 cyclinder

ok yeah it started in the lake and sounded good to it just took forever to start took lots of starter fluid and it would stall if you tried to drop it down the throttle down to idle speed but will do a compression test

well i got it back together and still doing the same thing hard to get to start and will only run at full throttle and wont stay running for more than a few minutes or idle anyone got any ideas?

At least the cylinders are worn evenly...would like to see the numbers around 120 psi. Was the engine warm and did you hold the throttles open? The compression would be higher. If you check the compression again dry then recheck it with a squirt (a tablespoon) of oil into each cylinder before you crank it...oil one cylinder at a time then test and compare the two readings...dry vs. oiled. If the compression goes way up the rings are worn out. No sense in going any further w/bad compression. Did you ever take the carbs apart and rebuild them per manual specs?

no the engine wasnt warm it will start but only runs for a few minutes at full throttle then dies out no havent rebuilt the carbs but the bottom carb gets way overfull with gas and drips out when trying to start someone was saying could be a stuck float i havent been able to find a manual i found a downloadable one on old mercs.com but all it has its parts lists and diagram of where stuff goes

Leave it out in the hot sun a few hours and then test it. You need to work on the leaking carb...could be something simple like a spring off on the float needle. If you cant buy a gasket kit use the old ones as a pattern and cut them out of sheet gasket material avail. at any auto parts ctr. Look on YOUTUBE for a carb rebuild video...many float settings are similar. Go through each carb. Use compressed air to blow out all of the passages.

well i got the thing running and it idles made 2 passes around the marina went back to dock went to shut it off and the fuel line popped out of the engine had some kinda spring and ball bearing in it dont know why it broke and something is wrong with the linkage when you put it in reverse it pulls the gas down to and wont go up and when you put it in forward it when you put the gas down it starts to pull it out of gear anyone got any ideas on how to adjust the linkage right or why the gas line broke?

Back