Logo

Which gear oil for 1978 75hp Evinrude ?

That lower unit requires what is called "Hi Vis", available at WalMart, K-Mart, your dealership, any marine type store, etc.

Considering the cost of gears / bearings and shafts + $100.00 / hr if you have to hire a shop, why would you shop for a " cheaper oil " --------------This just is not worth it !!

Im just asking out of curiousity. Of corse its not about the 5 dollars difference for 1 liter Outboard or car gear oil.
So im asking myself why there should be such a big difference between these oils.

There is very little chance of water getting into a car differential !--------------------Look at the size of a car / pick-up differential and compare that to the outboard gearcase !--------------An outboard lower unit is sealed and a car differential is vented.---------Therefor use the best oil for your outboard.------------Technical details would wear out my finger tips on the keyboard.

--------Technical details would wear out my finger tips on the keyboard.

LOL That's the coolest wat to say "I dunno" that I've ever heard. :D

JeanArr, I've been working on outboards for a living going on 15 years....and I honestly don't know either. If I truly felt compelled to understand it though I could just Google it, as could you. Or you could just buy premium outboard gear lube and leave the "milk vs. cream" details up to the scientists.

I have repaired outboards and more expensive equipment for about 40 years.----------Most folks do not believe the coaching they get and have their own opinion based on what the friend or neighbor told them !

Im still working on my second outboard in one year and i dont know the diffrence;)
No but thanks you guys Im just going for the outboard oil.

But maybe we can talk about my 1978 75 hp Evinrude that I am working on right now.
But there also is an other thread about that.

Back