Logo

Mariner 75 4 yll of Johnson 70 3 cyl.

gkm24

Regular Contributor
I have an offer of a Mariner 75Hp 4 cylinder or a Johnson 70Hp 3 cylinder. They are both the same money but the Johnson is a bit newer. The Mariner is obviously heavier as it has a bigger power head. Irrespective of boat, what is the favourite? I favour the Johnson as it looks smaller due to the 3 cylinders and is a 1988. The Mariner I do not know as the serial No is 6468810 and I can't find the year. Just want to know if I am doing right. Thanks for any constructive help. They both have electric start and t&t.

I own both brands . Can't really offer an help on specific motors but i'd be more concerned with compression and spark . Newer doesn't mean has been well maintained. I had an 1984 150 evinrude that ran great just powering boat, put my son behind on one ski and could feel a power loss , but not severe. No unusual noises. One cylinder had broken rings messed up cylinder, no compression. Make your own decision based on compression and spark test. Hearing and looking doesn"t always tell condition of motor. Also the cooling system is important.

Back