Logo

Lost Wheel Bearings

Jon Blair

Ok Bought a 1969 Stevens boat that has a trailer the hub caps are orange and reads Dilly. Now here is the problem, I guess on the 4 hr drive home the wheel bearings gave way along with the Dilly hub cap without me knowing untill the next morning. So How would I go about seeing what bearings race etc I need. I have know idea how to tell if the trailer is from the same year even though it does look it. There does not appear to be much if any damage to the hub or axle the nut and carter pin are still intact. And if they are damaged is there any hope of replaceing the hub without having to replace the axle? Thanks any help is appreciated for this novice.

those beaarings are pretty standard depending on the size of the axle...the inner race is still on the axle.....you gotta pull it off anyway so pull it and take it to your nearest dealer or auto supply and they can look at it and tell what you need...

if the axle is not bent you probably ok there....just make sure the inner race is not turning on the axle....

Almost every trailer bearing, race and seal have a manufacture's initials and a number stamped on it. Most any auto or marine parts store can match them up. However, when I deal with bearings, I usually use NAPA.

thanks guys I went to tractor supply and found a hub assembly with bearings races and all in one, that I think will work I pulled old one off and it appears to be the same their is parts of the old race or something stuck to the bottom of the spindle in spots I should be able to get that off and replace the whole thing and be good I think. The bearings are prepacked do u think I should add some more grease to the axle after cleaning to be on the safe side?

i would replace both sets of bearings.....if one is gone the other is not far behind....another thing to consider is buddy bearing assembly...a set should be less than 30 bucks....make sure they have the pressure relief hole so as not to over grease and blow the rear seal...

Hey pulled down the bearing assembly what was left of it lol I have noticed in all the bearing replacements i've watched that all have a flat washer behind the shaft nut this one here had a cone shaped washer (I guess) behind it, is this what I need to go back on with the new stuff or, do I need the flat washer or does it matter it appears that the cone shape washer would fit inside the front bearing and that the bearing would ride on it.

that cone shaped ''washer'' is part of the bearing assy and the rollers do ride against it....i would still put a flat washer outside of it if you have room to fit it behind the nut and still get the key in....after you seat the bearing assy and tighten it down back off the nut 1/4 turn and then put the key in....when you pull trailer for the first time stop and make sure its not running hot....if so its too tight....then grip the tire in both hands and try to rock it sideways....if too much play then you did not seat the bearing....

Back