Logo

8hp Tohatsu

vintage

Contributing Member
So I am starting from scratch here. I went fishing with my almost-son-in-law and he brought an 8hp Tohatsu. Barely got it started, ran absolutely awful the few laps of trolling. Took it back to the tail gate, and one plug was wet, one was dry. I took the carb apart and nothing was really out of the ordinary in there. The pilot jet may have been plugged, but that hole in the jet is so small....hard to tell. Ran much better the second time out. My question is....where is a good supplier of parts? One coil looks suspect as it had black, like soot on it where the cover over the wire meets it. That is also the plug that was wet. Are there carb kits available for this? It must be pretty old. It has two coils. The carb has round slide like a motorcycle carb does. There is no air cleaner, but looks like it had something like one once. I don't have an engine # yet and there is likely no trace-able history of the little guy as it was dingy mule in the ocean or years and something of a step child. Any help would be great! Oh yeah, caught 10 trout all 12'' or more in size.

Vintage

You have a museum piece, possibly from the 1970's or 80's, or maybe earlier. No carb bits are available from Tohatsu for that style carb any more. Doubtful that you will find an impeller, unless the (relatively modern) M8B uses the same pump... don't know... you would have to bring the parts to a dealer to compare with current water pump parts. No clue on ignition parts -- does it use points? If so, one set of points may be fouled/pitted/burned, (or you may have a weak condenser) causing weak spark to one cylinder. Our shop doesn't even have a parts catalog for that motor. There is a remote possibility that Elvin may know of an olde-tyme dealer who may have a few bits on a dusty back shelf.

I don't know if it uses points or not. I didn't realize it would be that old. Well, since it is not mine I am not going to fret to much about it. We have an outboard spe******t right down the road where I live. I may just have to go see him to get some ideas. And who might Elvin be? Another Forum person?

Vintage465

Elvin is the Tohatsu Guru, a Tampa-based Outboard aficionado, and super-expert on the older 2-stroke motors. There's also a possibility that the Tohatsu America folks in Dallas might want that oldie for display in their small museum.

I have the same m8a model 8 horse motor my motor is in almost new condition belive me or not!The tohasu dealer in texas offered only 150 after seeing the pictures I sent.That is not nearly enough!anyone else with a motor like this one?

[QUOT=Tommysmicroskiff;382868]believe it or not I have a brand new carb for that motor ... I paid a fortune for it :-([/QUOTE]

Where did you find that carb at brand new, and how much did you pay im just curious?Was it the original carb or one they use on the new motors?

Reeds? Hard to feature why the Upper cyl got fuel and the lower didn't with the Slider Carb. Nothing wrong with the Carb if the one cylinder is working and the slide works.

If you take the Carb off, the Reeds are right behind it. This old guy may have suffered at the hands of a 'look n' see' guy.
In the old days of Motorcycle racing, the Reeds often broke and some guys bent them for a better fit.

Back