Logo

Drive shaft seal gear case upper

Skip R

On a 1996 Johnson Faststrike 175, how do you replace the upper seal, the one on top of the gear case? Looking at it from the top it is upside down, as you can see the spring in the seal. Is that the way you put it in, outside first. Looks like it could be done with a little work. 04-16-2012

There are 2 seals in there !--one facing up and one facing down.---------------Just pull the upper bearing housing out to make this job easy. ------Have you pressure tested the gearcase ?------Is water getting in the gearcase ?

I have the case off because I am in the process of replacing the water pump and thought I might as well replace this seal if it isn't to big a deal if you know what I mean. I also am repainting the gear case as it is not the original one including the paint if in bad shape. So when I am moving the case around to sand and get it ready for paint there is a little (not a lot) gear grease coming out around the top seal. Looking at the upside down seal the spring looks a little week to me. I have never had a problem with water in the gear case oil that I know of.

The seal I am refuring to is the 0341280 seal the goes in the top of the 0439476 Housing that sets on top of the gear box.

It used to be 2 seperate seals.--------I guess they now install a double lip seal , with one side facing out and the other side facing in.

Just remove 4 bolts and remove the upper bearing housing ------Push out the seal and push in the new one.-----No surprises on the job.

Back