Logo

1997 mercury 25 hp

Tim Sisco

I have a 1997 mercury 25 hp 2 stroke outboard motor that when it is in the water at full throttle it only goes about 4mph. I have replace the fuel line and the fuel filter screen and still have the same issue. When I test it at home with the "Micky mouse" ears it runs fine. Any help would be great

More history needed.------Is throttle plate opening all the way ?----Does ignition trigger plate turn when you give it throttle ?------Did it run OK the last time you used it ?--------------Have you tried new sparkplugs ?-----------In the driveway it will sound fine to most folks even running on one cylinder.-----Check for spark on both plug leads.

I have not tried new spark plugs..it ran great last time I used it..although it did not idle well..tends to die when in idle...as far as the throttle plate and ignition trigger plate I could not tell you..I do think the throttle does open all the way... When I have it at full throttle without the prop engaged it runs fine.

Sorry , but winding it up in nuetral really proves nothing.-Most / all motors will wind up on one cylinder in nuetral.--------Do you have spark on both plug leads ??

Back