Logo

BF130 Fuel Pump problem?

Yoelage - Please start a new thread. Folks on this forum will then likely talk you through a set of diagnostics to unravel the problem.

Did you go back a look to see that your thread DID post? I haven't seen it yet. Although, I usually get my notifications through my inbox. I will go to the website and look for your post now.

Did you go back a look to see that your thread DID post? I haven't seen it yet. Although, I usually get my notifications through my inbox. I will go to the website and look for your post now.

Yes yes it's there it's 3rd one down called BF 130 fuel problem under honda outboard forum

... just want to add that there are seperate service bulletins from the past that deal with fuel pump, and cracked head or block on these 130's. re fuel pump issues...i know one time, i ordered the warranty kit part number because a customer had everything on his fuel side rusted out, and i got a lot more for his money then ordering just the parts i wanted. i also cleaned his injectors. ...

Epilogue: I wanted to see what makes the low pressure fuel pump tick so I took my old one apart. I got a security bit set from harbor freight tools for about 7$ and took off the nuts/security bolts. There are three springs that work the plunger/piston thing that move the fuel through the pump. I was astonished to see that two of the springs had broken into several pieces. There was a bit of rust on those springs as well, my guess is when I was originally having the slight problems two years ago (the engine would act up about once every other trip for a minute) the springs must have been breaking. Since it got worse then the springs must have been breaking along the way.

At the least I can sleep assured that it was for sure my old low pressure fuel pump causing the fuel feed View attachment 4739problems and not some other gremlin!

So glad to have found this thread and this photo. I've been down a very similar diagnostic road most of this summer with my BF115. I bought it new in 1998! I'd posted on a few other threads asking the question that this photo answers, "What the heck happens inside that pump?" I'd thought it had to be semi permiable diaphragms like so many smaller outboards and was just all wound up that nobody sold a rebuild kit for the thing. Now after replacing filters, main relay and the electric pump... I know. I'll be ordering a replacement mechanical pump in the morning!!!!!!

If anyone cares, here's my thus incomplete youtube video on my own path to better Honda operations through fuel system maintenance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElTv8DVMErI

hi everyone! hope you guys are all still active on here and can chime in. This might get lengthy but please bare with me as me and my dad have been fighting this issue for 3 years now...

our story is very similar to the original post. for the first two summers the engine would randomly go into what we thought was limp mode and not exceed 3000RPM. if we shut it off for a while it would restart and go good for awhile again. my dad did some detective work and found that the HP filter on the motor had COLLAPSED. we thought that was the smoking gun and the main issue. fixed that and hoped we were good. rand good for a few trips and than started doing it again.

come to this year and we took the boat out for the first time this year a few days ago and it ran fine for about 40min and than out of no where it just shut off while idling. tried restarting it and nothing...drove a few miles and tried it again and it started but than would die again a few minutes later.

engine runs fine, no miss fires, not shaking, no smoking, no water in the oil....just the random cut off and this whole time we knew it was a fuel issue somewhere.

all fuel system filters on the motor and fuel delivery lines have been replaced. fuel pickup tube to the tank has been replaced.

today when were were putting all the fuel lines back together (after blowing through each one to verify no clogs) we also installed new inline fuel filters immediately after the fuel tank...they are clear which is the big change.

we test ran the starboard motor as a control and it filled the inline filter cup easily and maintained the fuel level in the cup at half full. started the Port motor (the trouble child) and it drained the filter cup and would not keep it filled....like there wasn't enough vacuum to pull the fuel.

from your guys expert opinion, does this sound like a fuel pump or VST issue? those are the only things on the entire fuel system that have not been broke open or messed with.

desperate for help! thank you for any input!

Back