MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default 115 mercury swith box test

Hello,

I read on here a while back how to test a switch box on a 70's model mercury 115 can someone that knows how to do that repost it please I got one i need to check.

Thanks for help.

Default Re: 115 mercury swith box test

The acceptable voltage range for battery type ignitions is typically 9.5 Volts (at cranking) to a maximum of 16 volts at full throttle
    (13.2-14.6 preferred). Voltages above or below this range can cause damage to the CD.
    DO NOT USE A MAINTAINENCE FREE, DRY CELL OR AGM BATTERY WITH ANY BATTERY DRIVEN CD UNIT!
    No Fire on Any Cylinder:
    1. Clean all battery connections and engine grounds.
    2. Disconnect the mercury tilt switch and retest. If the ignition works properly, replace the mercury switch.
    3. Connect a spark gap tester to the spark plug wires and check for fire on all cylinders. If some cylinders fire and not
    others, the problem is likely in the distributor cap, rotor button or spark plug wires. Notice: If the unit only fires when
    you let off of the key switch, the trigger is usually the problem.
    4. Check voltage present on the White wire at cranking. It MUST be at least 9 volts. If not, the problem is in the
    harness, key switch, starter or battery.
    5. Check voltage present on the Brown wire at cranking. It MUST be at least 9 volts. If not, the problem's likely in the
    pack.
    6. Check DVA voltage on the Green wire going to the coil. It should be approximately 200 volts at cranking.
    7. With the spark gap tester to the high tension lead coming from the ignition coil, disconnect the Brown, White and
    Black trigger wires. Connect a jumper wire from the slot for the Brown wire to the slot for the White wire. Connect
    another jumper to the slot for the Black wire and (with the key switch turned on) strike the jumper against engine
    ground. The unit should fire each time. If it does, the CD module is usually good.