Logo

Wire up a fuel gauge to a new 90 Honda

constablechris

Contributing Member
Hello people,Long time no post, I have been building a boat.

I decided to build myself a 5 m aluminium boat 4mm base 3 mm sides fully sealed deck, side rear console. I have fitted it with a new 90hp honda.When the dealer fitted the motor he fitted the tilt gauge and the tacho, but no fuel gauge, He just left that (without all the fitting pieces)on the floor of the boat.

That was just one of the crap fitting things he did. He also threaded one of the srews that holds the hydralic steering into the console and .... anyway back to the chase.....

On my wiring loom at the console end there are a couple of plastic fittings (sort of oval plug) that fit into the fuel gauge. I would like to fit the gauge (if I can get the plastic holder thing) Any idea what colour wire I attach the tanks sender to? I am assuming one wire is sender the other wire is ground so I will take the ground direct to battery?

There are 4 pins in my loom connector and four wires. Off the fuel sender are two wires, one has an s on the top of the fuel tank end I think ( I have to cut the carpet and have a look)

Any help would be appreciated. Ideas on where I might get the plastic fitting holder also appreciated.

Anyone have a new 90 fitted? How many gauges did they fit?

Had the motor fitted for 1000.00 Money wasted in my mind. Side cover for the throttle control not fitted, wired the thing contrary to my advice and now there are wires battery cables and steering hoses in four different spots going everywhere... apprentice on drugs must have fitted it up.Going to fire her up next weekend.

For some reason I cannot add a pic of the baot. Sorry. I was going to use it as a bribe to get the info...

Chris

Sorry to hear about your poor experience with the dealer. Unfortunately, many dealers put their least trained people in the rigging area. This is where they go wrong. If the boat is not rigged correctly, the motor will not run right and the customer (you) will not be happy...and will not return.

If Australia is like the United States, you should receive a questionnaire asking about your experience with the dealer. That will be your opportunity to officially voice your opinion.

Now for your question...we put in the gauges that the customer requests. If it is a new boat with no gauges, we include at least a tachometer with the sale...if the customer wants additional gauges, he just pays for the gauges, and we install at no additional charge. If all of the holes in the dash have to be cut, there sometimes is an additional charge, since that takes a lot of time to get it just right and not screw up the console....measure 10 times....cut once.

I am not sure what you have have in the wire loom. Is it part of the loom put in when the boat was made for navigation lights, etc? Are the wires coming from your tank in this loom? If think you see what I mean.

The sender (s) wire from the tank goes to the s (sender) connection on the gauge. It is usually pink in color, but that is not always the case.

There is normally a black lead from the other contact on the tank that goes to the ground connection on the gauge.

The gauge is powered by the key switch by a black/yellow lead from the Honda wiring harness. It is normally connected to the I (Ignition) connection.

There should also be a black lead in the Honda harness that will need to be attached the ground connection with the black wire from the tank. You can run the black lead from the tank to a ground, but I like to home run it all the way to the gauge if possible. Others may have other thoughts.

One last connection would be the gauge light (if you have one). If they used the Honda gauge harness, it is the red/white lead.

Since it sounds like the installers were less than professional, I would not expect to see anything that I described. They may have created their own standards.

If the above does not help, some pictures of the gauge contacts and the wiring to your other gauges might help us answer the questions a little better.

Mike

Thanks hondadude

That is exactly what I was after. So I will wire the S off the tank to the pink (Yep I have one of those) and the I on the tank to the ground and the black off the honda harness connector to the ground of the tank.

When I plug the harness to the gauge at the moment the light comes on so that looks all good.

Thanks for your help I will get it sorted out now.

By the by I went to the shop yesterday and the owner was very apologetic about my concerns and offered any help needed which will help put everything back into perspective.

Long and the short of it is I am sure the motor is goo as I have had a few hondas and anything minor I am sure I can fix up myself.

Thanks for your avice and I got my customer questionare and after I take the boat for a run today I will fill it in

Chris

Back