Logo

GM 4.3 V6 Engine Hours before Rebuild

griff04

I'm looking at purchasing a 1991 Hurricane deckboat with a GM 4.3 V6 inboard engine. Overall the boat looks and run very well and has been well maintained by the current owner. The engine currently has 428 hours....knowing very little about inboards just curious if this is high and approximately how many hours could you expect out of the 4.3 engine before a major overhaul would be needed?

Thanks in advance.
Griff

and approximately how many hours could you expect out of the 4.3 engine before a major overhaul would be needed?

Ayuh,.... With Perfect maintenance, 2000hrs. to 5000hrs....

Sorry Bondo, not to step on your toes, but, the most hours I have ever scene on a 4.3 V6 was approx 1200. But, no worries, the boat is 21 years old and only has 428 hours on it. The average boater here in Jersey puts approx 50 hrs a year on there engines. Depending on where you live, if you were to put 100 hrs a year on your engine you would still get 10 years out of it with the proper maintenance.

Sorry Bondo, not to step on your toes, but, the most hours I have ever scene on a 4.3 V6 was approx 1200. But, no worries, the boat is 21 years old and only has 428 hours on it. The average boater here in Jersey puts approx 50 hrs a year on there engines. Depending on where you live, if you were to put 100 hrs a year on your engine you would still get 10 years out of it with the proper maintenance.

Ayuh,.... Which is why I prefaced my statement with "With Perfect maintenance,".....

With "With Perfect maintenance,", 'bout any SBC will live to see several Thousand Hours....

My 4.3l is well over 1200 hours now, closer to 1500 hours, 'n still showin' perfect compression #s...

Ayuh,.... Which is why I prefaced my statement with "With Perfect maintenance,".....

With "With Perfect maintenance,", 'bout any SBC will live to see several Thousand Hours....

My 4.3l is well over 1200 hours now, closer to 1500 hours, 'n still showin' perfect compression #s...

I understand the "Perfect Maintenance" part. Most of the repowers I have done usually had lower end failure.

I understand the "Perfect Maintenance" part. Most of the repowers I have done usually had lower end failure.

Ayuh,... The Only repower I've ever done that had a Trashed lower end was a 4.3l that had run aground, in Rocks...

The outdrive was replaced, 'n the boat put back into service....
Maybe a week later, it was brought back to the shop with a "Funny Noise" issue....
The crankshaft had Broken clean through in the middle of a main bearing...
It was still runnin' fine, due to the angle of the Break....

That 1 became an Anchor, 'n a 350 was refitted to the hull...

Back