Logo

Force 125 dies when put into gear

auchandler1

Contributing Member
JerryJerry if you are out there I need your Yoda guidance on this. My outboard runs great gets up at about 40 mph and the compression is good. My problem is that when I put my outboard into gear (forward/reverse/) it dies on me. When I throw down some gas when putting into gear she runs fine. I am guessing it is carb related but need your advise on this matter.

1. Is it carb related?
2. If it is how should I approach cleaning it?
3. If all above is right and it turns out to be the carbs. How did it happen in the first place? Old hose or what?

Thanks

Try adjusting the idle stop screw for a faster idle speed.-----------Most motors should idle at about 750 / 800 RPM in nuetral and that will give an in gear idle speed of say 650 RPM.

Well currently my tachometer decided to not work anymore so I need to check that out soon. I am told that you need to rotate the idle screw 1 1/2 times around. Is this correct? Also, if it is where do I start the process ? Do I take it off and start or tighten it down and start?

You need to find the idle stop screw and it will bump up the idle speed , without affecting mixtures on the carburetors.

What ended up being the cure? I have an 84 Force 85 on a Bayliner Capri that we bought this spring. Just finally got to take her out for a spin last night after work and ended up getting another boat to tow us back to the launch. Had the same symptoms as you described above, except it got to a point where it wouldn't even stay idling.

Sorry I put a new rectifier in my outboard and my tachometer came to life. If you ever have a problem with your tach and battery charging buy this rectifier (item # 276-1185) from Radio Shack. Worked really good but anyways after I got that work which took me 30 mins I went out on the lake the next day and had instructions on how to adjust both my idle speed and mixture speed on the outboard using my repair manual. If memory serves me right I adjust the mixture screw in until it is barely tight not wanting to break it. After that I moved it out about 1 3/8 turns on both carbs. With the engine running and I turned one idle screw until I hear coughing and mark that spot. After that I moved it the other way until it smoked or ran to lean. With that figured out I put it half way between those two marks and did the same on the other carb she started to run like a champ. Started right up and idled very well.

Back