Logo

Suzuke DT150 Outboard Motor - crack in gear housing

Ray Frazier

There is a crack in my lower unit gear housing beginning at the hub and forward about 3 inches. I took it to a welder and he said that the aluminum was too corroded to accept a good weld. The crack doesn't seem to affect performance and no water is leaking into the actual gear housing. I am thinking of Continuing to operate the unit in its present condition. Would appreciate any advice. Do you think it worthwhile to fill the crack with some sort of epoxy filler?

Hard to imagine no leaks either way (into and out from), but if its clean and free of oil why not fill it with the epoxy?

Surely not a real fix but may buy you time to locate a replacement housing.

Hard to imagine no leaks either way (into and out from), but if its clean and free of oil why not fill it with the epoxy?

Surely not a real fix but may buy you time to locate a replacement housing.

Thanks Dave. Much of the area in the "bell" part of the lower unit casting is simply an exhaust chamber. My crack is limited to the exhaust chamber area. We found an aluminum welder today who feels he can weld repair the crack without removal of the prop shaft or bearing. I'll let you and other readers know if the weld works well. Ray Frazier

Back