Logo

Buzzer going off on 1989 50 hp Force

panfish

Boy, do I have the trouble, just put a rebuilt lower unit on my 1989 50 hp Force motor last summer, new everything put in according to the boat shop repair tec. and today as I took off down the lake the buzzer went off on the boat motor,from the time I took off it was something like 3 minutes, so I switched it off and let it cool off before heading back to the truck, got almost back to the truck and the buzzer went off again, it,s peeing some water out but I really don,t know how much it,s suppose to put out, I know a little about boat motors so I removed the lower unit when I got home and it has quite a bit of grease or oil in the housing part where the water pump is located. but that is all I can do about it because I really don,t know what I,m looking for. Sure could use some help on this problem if somebody can give me some good advice on how to fix it or what to look for. Thanks for any help.

Did it run OK last summer ?---------Are head bolts loose ?-------------Done a compression test ?--------------Who installed the lower unit ?------Was motor actually hot or defective heat sensor ?

Tach and stuff 001.jpgTach and stuff 002.jpgGrease /oil in the housing??Pics?
Like Racer said,Is it really getting hot or the sender defective,possibly shorting out.
The head,if running right.You should be able to touch and not burn yourself.Gonna be hot just not real hot.

You run it on muffs?What kind of muffs? They make a special muff for the 50,see pic.Wrong muffs and it can ruin the impeller.J

Been out several times this spring and boat ran fine,it was blowing out plenty of steam from the 2 pee holes yesterday when the buzzer went off, I,ve not put no muffs on it, already wiped up most of the grease on the lower unit around the water pump but still plenty up inside the leg itself where the bottom unit bolts on,will try to take a pic of that,it looks like a seal is leaking out oil I,m guessing since there is no grease in the lower unit.Was wondering if I go ahead and take the water pump and impeller assmy. apart and see if anything looks torn up,really don,t know what I,m looking for.

The grease / oil / emulsion on the water pump and housing may be very normal for a 2 stroke.-------There is no " magic " to a water pump so take it apart to inspect. Very easy to diagnose.------------A blown head gasket is a cause of overheat, so do a compression test.

Anything that I should be looking for when I take the water pump assmy. apart? Can u tell me what the compression should be on this motor,also if I put the lower unit back on and install muffs on the motor how long should it take for the buzzer to go off if the head gasket is blown? Thanks

Compression on both Cyls. is around 140 ,took the thermostat out and found a piece of something that looked like a gasket in behind the thermostat,going to take the boat out today or tomorrow will let u know if that was what was causing the buzzer to go off.

No grease in the lower???? No oil???
Post a pic of the impeller when it's out.The inside of the pump too.
You starting it with no water?

Thanks everyone for the help on my boat motor trouble, took it out today and it ran just fine, caught some nice crappie also,buzzer never did go off,no sign of motor getting hot, I,m thinking what every the piece of crap I found in behind the thermostat was clogging up the water flow.Thanks again and hope this bit of info. will help someone else.

Back