Logo

M-75 and related topics

goodthunder

​To all of you with any experience with the M-75, I am searching for oil filters. The UD marked old ones do not seem to be around any more. I need 4 for both engines.anyone know a source ? Thanks

Hello, I just found this forum and am happy to help out a fellow M4-75 owner. We have this engine in our 49' custom built trawler, with just over 420 hours on it and going strong. I do all the maintenance on it, and have found exact replacements for the oil and fuel filters. Use Baldwin oil filter # PT 153 (two of course) and for the engine mounted fuel filter use Baldwin fuel filter # PF 7554. ​I ordered them from my local Grainger store, you can also find them online from other suppliers. Baldwin is a quality brand and an exact match for the hard to find UD filters. Also note that since the M4-75 is a 2 stroke diesel, similar to the Detroit Diesel 4-71 you MUST use a straight 40 weight oil, do NOT use 15-40 or any other multi-weight oil. I recommend DELO 100, (NOT 400) SAE 40, which can be found at O'rielly's auto parts. 3 gallons should get you close.

Hi and thanks for the info on oil filters...I have twin M6-75's..and they are going strong. They were only used for a few years in Canadian built vessels, and they had superior fuel injection, German designed, over the GM 6-71 series, so much so that GM tied up the sales in law suits and it wasn't considered worth the effort to defend its place in the market. Heavy built with bronze pumps and all that was state-of-the-art for the day in 2 cycle diesels. So I have a complete spare as well with transmission.

Hopefully Some of you M-75 owners are still around. looking at a boat with a M6-75 in it. has anyone found a reliable source for parts? fortunatly the boat was kept well enough it's still in good shape with full shop manuals. but it seems like these engines where a bit of a short run. does anyone know if the Detroit 6-71 would bolt in as a direct replacment?

Back