Logo

1984 Force 85 fuel mixture?

Ezekiel 33

Hi all,

I am new here and new to boating. Just purchased a 1984 Bayliner Capri over the weekend in nice shape.
It has a Force 85 horse outboard on it. Have some questions due to mixed stories from a couple different folks.

What is the proper fuel mixture for this motor?

Which plugs work best in these motors? (one person said NKG-other person said definitely not NKG)

After reading through some of the posts, I noticed someone has a warning about ethanol in their signature. How do you get around that now days?

Where is the best place to hook a rope for pulling a tube/skier? (It has a hand-rail and rear step platform, will that rail support pulling?)
Thanks in advance for your help!

50-1 oil.1 pint to 6 gal.
Believe it's Champion UL-18V That's what the factory uses.
Replace all old hoses and squeezies.They make an Ethanol additive.Follow directions.
Install a filter between the pump and carb.Wally World.G2 or G12 depending on hose size.
There are 2 eye hooks on the transom.They use them to tie the boat to the trailer.
Use a floating line or a line with floats so it doesn't get into the prop.
You will pull the platform off if you try to use it to pull.

Thanks!!! We're still waiting for the weather to warm up here in northern Michigan, but I want to be ready when we get a nice day now.

If your looking at a truly smokeless oil try the Mercury Quicksilver Premium Plus oil.
Make sure it's the 'Plus' bottle.

You can use the ethanol gas.It burns a bit hotter,no problem.
They make additives for the ethanol.If you use the boat a lot,I wouldn't worry.
Just make sure the tank stays full while setting.

Thanks for the info fellas!
In the manual it says to use Leaded gas. Do I need to use a lead additive in the mix?

The lead fears have been pretty much disproven for about the last 30 yrs
so I wouldn't worry about that.....Besides when the first concerns were raised
about taking it out of fuels it had to do with the valves wearing out.

You don't have valves....

Jack

The lead fears have been pretty much disproven for about the last 30 yrs
so I wouldn't worry about that.....Besides when the first concerns were raised
about taking it out of fuels it had to do with the valves wearing out.

You don't have valves....

Jack

So there's nothing else that would be messed up in this motor by not using a lead substitute?

Is there a 2 cycle mix that already has the ethanol additive in it?

No & No...... but you could add that Sta-bil for ethanol fuels. I think it's green. From what I've read you may want to upgrade your fuel lines too. That should be relatively cheap to do and something that old, I would gently run the fuel out of it even if it's going to sit for a week or so.

Jack

Running the motor out of gas inin't a good idea.
The cylinders,crank,bearings etc.are lubed by the gas and oil.
No gas = no lubrication.J

Always run carburetors empty -----it is the easiest / best way to keep them clean !!----Running fuel out does no damage to the engine whatsoever.

Back