Logo

trolling motor cuts out after use of several minutes.

roykeene

Hey,

I have a 55lb thrust motorguide trolling motor that cuts off after a couple of minutes use. It is not getting hot to touch. the cables are not hot. it just cuts off when I need to stay on the trolling motor for several minutes. after it cuts off I can wait about one minute and it will start again when I step on the power button but it will cut off again after just a few short seconds.
If I do not use it for 5 or 10 minutes, then it will run for several more minutes and start all over again. the motor has not been used much but has been on the boat for 5 years.
do you have any suggestions? I would like to get it going....like everybody else.....money is tight right now and I can't replace it. it bums me out that I can't cross our small local lake with it.:(

Last edited:
water in the motor?blown seal?i am using probably the same motorguide and its 18 years old....does it fail if you dont use the foot and just reach down and cut the switch on to run continuously?.....that switch you make when you press the foot lever has a rubber cover on it..when it wears thru the rubber the switch just barely operates.... my experience has been with other trolling motors is that when they fill up with water everything will meter normally and then when you break the motor open you just got a rusty mess....throw away time....

Have you tried squeezing the primer bulb when the problem starts? If the problem is also there then you need to rule out the tank, the hose and eventually the pump. Take it out and whenever it happens again, pump the primer bulb quickly and see if the motor regains. If it does you have a fuel delivery problem. Now the motor may very well chug again in about 30 seconds or so after you do this, again, squeeze the bulb and see if it regains. If it doesn't you have some other problem then pumping. If it does regain itself after manually pumping the primer bulb, then it is a fuel pump, fuel hose, fuel tank or air leak in your fuel delivery system, problem.

Marine Engine Parts

Back