Logo

2009 Mercury 115 hp four stroke alarm codes: six long beeps

Capt Harpoon

My 2009 Mercury 115 hp four stroke is acting up.
The last two times I have taken it out (most recently yesterday) I got alarm codes.
The first time was quite choppy. The engine started skipping or hesitating, suddenly dropping rpm before recovering <1 second later. Since it was choppy, I thought it could be a bit of water in the fuel that was being sucked up on each wave. When I got back to the boat ramp, the alarm sounded.
Yesterday, the exact same thing happened. It ran fine on the way out, but on the way back it started skipping again. very close to the ramp, the alarm went off. Six steady, long, beeps. Happened at low speed. Overheat alarm?
Fuel is last years, but has marine Stabil in it. Water is salt water (Narragansett Bay).
What should I check first?
This is a work boat, and I need to get to work next week.
Your help appreciated! Thanks,
CH.

My first forum search did not turn up much, so I made my post.
Turns out, though, the magic word in the search appears to be "six" beeps and then some things popped up.
A bit of info out there, but from what I can gather, it needs to go to the dealer for diagnostics.
Please let me know if there are any other ideas or thoughts with this particular engine.
Thanks, and sorry for posting a bit too quickly.
CH.

OK, nothing previously posted was much help at all, except those posts that said take it to the dealer. I guess an alarm can be triggered for any reason and without reading the computer, you cannot figure it out.
In my case, it was an error not previously listed anywhere on the web that I can find.
The error suggested it was the gear shift switch assembly. Replacing this had no effect.
It was later determined to be a bent gear shift rod between the power head and lower unit.
$140 parts, $900 labor.

My 2009 Mercury 115 hp four stroke is acting up.
The last two times I have taken it out (most recently yesterday) I got alarm codes.
The first time was quite choppy. The engine started skipping or hesitating, suddenly dropping rpm before recovering <1 second later. Since it was choppy, I thought it could be a bit of water in the fuel that was being sucked up on each wave. When I got back to the boat ramp, the alarm sounded.
Yesterday, the exact same thing happened. It ran fine on the way out, but on the way back it started skipping again. very close to the ramp, the alarm went off. Six steady, long, beeps. Happened at low speed. Overheat alarm?
Fuel is last years, but has marine Stabil in it. Water is salt water (Narragansett Bay).
What should I check first?
This is a work boat, and I need to get to work next week.
Your help appreciated! Thanks,
CH.

Did you find out what the issue was as my boat is doing exactly the same thing.

Chart should be in your manual.

6 beeps on start-up means "one" of the many sensors is bad/shot/not working correctly.

You do need to put it on a diagnostic computer to figure out which (can't do it in the driveway with a multi-meter).

guardian - 4 stroke.jpg

Does anyone have the MAP sensor specs for a 2009 90hp 4stroke? 854445 is part number, ive tested the resistance but I only have specs for 60hp EFI and my map sensor isn't close to the 2001 specs
Pin A to B spec is 90-150K I get 4.465K
Pin A to C spec is 3.9-4.3K I get 2.085K
Pin B to C spec is 95-105K I get 06.65K

Local mercury mech thinks its not the MAP sensor he thinks it could b neutral switch, I cant find any info on this switch and he cant look at until a couple of weeks

My motor wont rev above 2500rpm and gets the 6 beep alarm.

Last edited:
Did you get the 6 beeps during times of operation when the 2500rpm system wasn't actually happening? I've been having the rpm problem for weeks now and only just started getting the beeping. But stay the Rev problem isn't happening I'm currently idling down my canal this moment and the. Beeps is coming every 5 minutes or so

Back