Logo

98 Johnson 90 hp J90PLEEB getting too much fuel?

thisbudsforyou

I have rebuilt the fuel pump and all 4 carbs it seems like it is getting too much fuel and boggs down and dies when I throttle down on it when its in the water. When it is running on the hose it idles fine but seems to make a gargling sound when you gas it alittle like too much fuel again. My guess would be to adjust the floats in the carbs to cut off the fuel supply when the bowls are full. Does anyone know how to do this? or what else it may could be?

First... have someone constantly pump the fuel primer bulb, acting as a manual fuel pump. If this corrects the problem, the fuel pump is not performing properly.

Having the engine bogg down and die out indicates the engine is starving for fuel, not loading up. Did you manually clean the high speed jets (4) located in the bottom center portion of the carburetor float chambers? If not, do so as solvent really doesn't do a proper job on them.

Does the timer base move smoothly from full retarded position to its full spark advance position? If sticking, correct that problem.

If pumping the fuel primer bulb hard causes fuel to flow out of the carburetor throats, the float levels are wrong or the float needle valves are faulty. Set the floats as follows:

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)
With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Last edited:
yesterday, I pumped the bulb while it idled in the back yard and still the same result. Also I hooked up an electric inline fuel pump 3.5psi to push the fuel through the pump and still the same. I can see all 4 carbs spraying fuel on to each butterfly when I give it gas.

Repair kits are available for the VRO pump on your 1999 motor.-------They are elegantly simple pumps and easy to repair.

yesterday, I pumped the bulb while it idled in the back yard and still the same result. Also I hooked up an electric inline fuel pump 3.5psi to push the fuel through the pump and still the same. I can see all 4 carbs spraying fuel on to each butterfly when I give it gas.

You said it idled fine in your first post and that it died out when throttle was applied...... You would need to be having the primer bulb pumped constantly as you applied throttle, not at idle, and in the water, not on a flushette.

Back