Logo

installing new shift cable 86 mercruiser alpha drive

lime4x4

Contributing Member
Got a shift cable from the local boat place. The kit now comes with the cable, new thottle end and new shifter lever at the drive. What is the procedure for installing the outer casing along with the shift lever? I found instructions on how to adjust the cable once installed..

I myself do not have time to accuratley type what is required in installing a complete short shift cable. It would take several pages of information.

My opinion is this is not a job for a amature. It takes several times of doing this install to get a good handle on the technique and tricks and getting it done right.
This needs to be done correctly and with care.

Maybe another member has time to right the small book to describe this proceedure........

I myself do not have time to accurately type what is required in installing a complete short shift cable. It would take several pages of information.

My opinion is this is not a job for a amateur. It takes several times of doing this install to get a good handle on the technique and tricks and getting it done right.
This needs to be done correctly and with care.

Maybe another member has time to right the small book to describe this procedure........

I could not agree more. If not sealed correctly, you will sink your boat.

Back