Logo

115 HP Yamaha 4-stroke start issue

dko2

Hey all-
New to the site...wealth of info here.
I'm having an issue with a 2000 115 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. Recently it turned over but reufsed to start. It acted like the lanyard was pulled from the kill switch, however it was in place. Pulled plugs, they were wet. Dried all plugs, checked all fuses, pulled kill switch assembly and all wires seemed to have solid connection, checked there was fuel to bowl, checked fuel line/ pressure.

Put it all back together and it fired right up like there was no issue. Several days later out on the lake it refused to start again. Got a tow from a guy back to shore... 20 minutes into a 30 minute tow I hit the ignition on a whim and motor fired right up. It's run fine since but i'll admit it has shaken my confidence and certainly dont want to get stuck 15 miles out/ rough weather and have starting issues.

Taking a trip in 8 weeks and want to resolve issue.
Any ideas?
Motor has been a champ til now. No problems whatsoever.

Thanks for any input,
dko2

I would say that you have an electrical connector that may need some attention. These engines are built with so Called "Weather Connectors" When they get a little age on them they are not so weather proof. Go through all the connectors on your engine, all of them. Clean and inspect them, grease them and reattach them. This is the only advise I can give you on this phantom problem.

Also, make sure all off your battery cable connections are clean. Both ends of both cables, not just at the batteries.

When and If this problem happens again, hope it becomes permanent so it can be located and repaired.

Last edited:
Chris is correct.I recentley had the same slow to strt run the battery down got to where it would start after I removed the charger etc.
My advice is to get a set of good jumper cables and disconnect the motor leads to the battery and jump start the starter.That or measure the voltage at the battery and measure voltage at the starter,if they aren't the same you have bad battery cable. Chris told me what to do and I took the engine to the shop mainly out of frustration and thinking that couldn't possibly be such an easy solution.Well a set of yamaha cables on line cost 119.00 at the repair shop they were 169.00 and Oh yeah, the labor cost ended up costing me 330.00.I appologize CHRIS for being being sooo... intelligent,I just love to Break Out Another Thousand.

A good volt /ohm meter is cheap. Good charge on the battery and measure volts at battery then measure volts at starter ie) at both ends of your cables. If discrepancy in the two voltages you have bad cables.

Back