Logo

MW Sea King 5 HP outboard manufactured by Clinton Engines Corp.

Larry Haskill

I have read through the other posts and found some interesting facts about all the different types and kinds of Montgomery Ward Sea King engines but have not found what I am looking for so I am starting this thread in the hopes of keeping this oldie but goodie working for a very long time.

Here are the particulars:

Montgomery Ward Sea king 5 horse power outboard w/external tank
Manufactured by Clinton Engines Corp. Maquoketa Iowa USA
Model #: K500 2106 A
Type #: 60 27405 R

I know that I am asking for the world but is there any chance someone might have a scanned copy of a manual? Mostly I need details on settings like mixture, adjustments to carburetor (tuning) Plug type and grade, settings for points if equipped and basic service advice.

I have replaced all the hoses from the tank to the carburetor and the hose from the block to the pump along with a new fuel filter. I have been mixing unleaded gas @ 30-1 with no fouled plug or grey ash on plug. I use it on a Sear 12' fiberglass that only has a 550# capacity so it is never really taxes or pushed hard. I believe I am running richer than normal to keep it cooler and protect it from over working. Any suggestions? Currently it runs like a champ but could be better!

Thanks in advance guys... ice just came off the lakes and want to be completely ready before getting back on them. Oh and how would I find out how old this engine is?

I just picked up a 5hp Sea King, same model as yours. Did you ever get your questions answered because I have the same questions.

Thanks,

Evan

Back