Logo

OMC Trim Cylinder Removal???

genuinegemini

Hi Everybody! I was wondering if someone could give me some insight as to the removal of the OMC Cobra trim rams? I have found lots of info on rebuilding them and whatnot, but nothing on a difinitive method of removing them. It's my understanding that it's not that difficult, but I don't have my manual yet, and the one available online doesn't tell you how to get them off. I have the outdrive supported by a floor jack and I have nuts off the pins, but they won't move very far and it seems like the shafts are flexing. I don't want to break or bend anything, so any guidence would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to relieve pressure in the rams or something. When I was tapping on the knuckle trying to get it off the pin, it looked like the whole pin was coming out. Is that pin a solid piece that slides through the lower unit, and if so, is knocking that pin through one side the answer to my problem? Thanks for any help, fellas.

Put the outdrive back down to relieve any pressure. Knock the rear pin out and take off the nuts holding the front of the rams and remove them . Remove the oil lines if needed. If this boat was used in salt water , you may have to apply some heat. The rear pin sometimes get's stuck in the hsg.

Put the outdrive back down to relieve any pressure. Knock the rear pin out and take off the nuts holding the front of the rams and remove them . Remove the oil lines if needed. If this boat was used in salt water , you may have to apply some heat. The rear pin sometimes get's stuck in the hsg.

Hi Boobie, and thank you for the response. So the pins are one solid piece then? Okay, that makes much better sense. Unfortunately, I can't lower the outdrive, because the switch is non-functioning. Am I still able to remove the rams in the up position? Thanks a million for the guidence, Boobie. I'm starting to go bald from all the head scratching, as this is my first "real" boat. Thanks again, Boobie.

Give it a try and see what happens. Try it in the position it's in. Post back with results.

Last edited:
Give it a try and see what happens. Try it in the position it's in. Post back with results.

Outdrive removal success!....:cool: The pins were a little tough, but the outdrice came off with no issues. The gear oil looked "clumpy", but it was all soft and I didn't notice any shavinges or metal flake appearance in th lube. Lot's of calcium build up in the cooling ports. I'm thinking C/L/R or similar? Given how easy the outdrive came off, I'm taking it as a sign of good things.

Now that the outdrive is off, what's the next step? Can I disconnect the accessories and pull the engine, or do I still have work on the gimble and transom mount? Sorry for the "101" questions. I'm just waiting on the funds to get my manual and then I won't have to bother with such trivial questions. Thanks again for all the guidence, fellas.

I guess I missed something here, but what are you trying to do for the end result ???

Last edited:
I guess I missed something here, but what are you trying to do for the end result ???

Well, Boobie, I was wanting to get the outdrive off, but since this is my first I/O, I didn't really know where to start or how thing really worked. The ram pins had me a bit perplexed, until I realized they were one solid piece that had to be knocked out through one side or the other. The ultimate goal is to get the motor out and overhauled if possible. I should have my manual next week, so things should go a lot smoother. Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll post an update as soon as I get the motor out.

Leave the gimble and transom mount alone now and focus on getting the mtr out. It's not that hard to do if you have the right hoist. Try and take it out as an assembly and then take it apart when you get it in your shop or what ever.

Back