MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Unhappy 1979 85 hp Evinrude electrical problems

Hey everyone I need help, I was on the water fishing Saturday and the boat ran fine, but when I was going to crank up to go back to the dock, I turned the key and nothing happened. I checked all my fuses and all my wire connections. They were all good. I noticed that the electric choke would not click when I pushed the key in. After being towed back to the dock and put the boat on the trailer, I tried it again and it fired right up. Any suggestions of where the problem might be? I have a tournament this weekend and I am scared to get the boat out now.

Default Re: 1979 85 hp Evinrude electrical problems

Naw it sounds like a simple loose or corroded connection clean all the connectors with electrical cleaner and use some dielectric to put them back together. The take all the grounds apart and sand them metal to metal and get them tite. It could also be a connection on the ignition switch or the switch itself be sure and disconnect the battery before messing with any wiring. GL and go kill fish.

If you cant start it jumping the start solenoid the battery connections are suspect. When your out on the water turn the key on and take a screwdriver or jumper wire from the battery + terminal on the start solenoid and short it across to the start wire from the ignition it is a good thing to know in case of emergency and no one around to give you a tow.

For future reference never start the motor even for a few seconds without water to the impeller your problems will get bigger!

kimcrwbr1 is right. I like to use spray battery cleaner on the battery positive and ground terminals. After they are cleaned and reinstalled I give them a shot of battery protector spray. I also use it on all ground terminals where they touch the engine. You can get it at any autoparts store. If your key switch is accessible under the dash disconnect the battery and remove, clean and reinstall each wire. Wipe a finger full of battery protector on each terminal before reinstalling. Look for corrosion where the wire feeds into the terminals. I have had to remove the old terminals due to corrosion, (label the wires first) strip the wire back, coat w/solder paste, retin the clean bare copper wire w/solder and a soldering gun then install a new connector. With the wires off you can check the switch w/an ohmmeter.
    Fix minor things (replace wear items for preventative maintenance.) that cause major problems before they break.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Just to let everyone know, I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago and also replaced my cable leads. As far as starting the motor out of the water, I just seen if it would turnover, I never let it actually crank. I will keep in mind about jumping the starter next time out if it happens again. Also my key switch is in the shift control box. Would putting aluminum connectors on the cable leads make a huge difference, or should I go with the copper connectors? I will however take my leads off at the motor and clean them real good. Thanks again for the advice.

Would putting aluminum connectors on the cable leads make a huge difference, or should I go with the copper connectors?
    Are you sure they are not plated copper?
    Fix minor things (replace wear items for preventative maintenance.) that cause major problems before they break.

The first thing i`d be looking at if the engine cranked over later on would be insuring the control lever is locked in the central position so the lock outs disengage allowing the engine to be started. I had this problem a couple of times with an old evinrude 50 and there`s nothing worse than going through all the hassle of launching the boat only to find it won`t start and having to haul it back out again. Lift the fast start lever to ensure it`s correctly in place.

Also check your emergancy kill switch, I bumped mine once, it looked fine but it was just enough to keep the motor from cranking, I felt quite silly after getting towed back to the dock and the guy reset it and it cranked.