Logo

Twin 305's, recommissioning from two year lay-up.

Update - Re: Twin 305's, recommissioning from two year lay-up.

Boat has been in the water for about a week now, took her out today for about an hour, all was good until I started hearing backfiring, it seemed to start somewhere around 1900 rpm, I've never dealt with this problem, any suggestion where to start? I have a set of valve cover gaskets that I suspect I might need from what I've read so far.

I had a similar problem several years ago and it turned out to be caused by a partially clogged anti-siphon valve which is located at the top of the fuel tank pick-up tube. I removed it, cleaned it, and replaced. No problem since then.

Thanks for the reply Erich, I started out the troubleshooting by checking the spark plug wires that I had removed and reset earlier in the spring, turns out that I had two switched, ran it up to 2000 rpm at the dock and no backfiring, I'm guessing that this should take care of it. Glad I have the service manual, this was the first item on the list of possible causes and something that I had read in other threads.

If you are on the water today, have fun, stay safe and remember those who died for our freedom.

Thanks,

Kevin

Back