Logo

Honda BF150 intermittent starting problem?

I have never had one of these pumps apart, but there are probably bearings or some type of sleeve that the inside of the motor rotates. If these surfaces are corroded or rusted, there will be static friction to keep it from moving. Once it breaks loose, the friction is much less and it continues to work.

That is one thought.

Another, there are probably some sort of brushes inside (it is a dc motor), and the brushes are dirty or corroded and not conducting electricity, thus, the motor (pump) does not rotate. Once broken loose, the brushes make better contact.

If you have the pump, cut it apart and check it out. The answer may be very apparent.

Keep us posted.

Mike

Ok the shop bench tested the pump and it was good..(Honest guys) They found on the inside of the pump the spade terminal was loose. I can agree with that since i have changed the fuel pump 3 times.(Water intrusion)They are doing a water test and will let me know for sure today..

I got the boat back started it a couple times. The shop left my boat a total mess..Rubber boot prints all over the boat Salt spray from there test run(didn't eve hose it off) Scratches on the side of the hull. They left the boat not all the way cranked up and it was teeter totting on the trailer. Then after cleaning up boot print,grease,buffing scratches etc. I looked at the bottom of me hull on the bow and they cracked my gelcoat from running into the trailer. I was PISSED! I took and back and they are fixing it. I went thru all the problems and told him his guy needs to learn how to load a boat. I pointed out where he failed to crank the boat all the way up to the bow stop. His answer was to go real fast and slam on the breaks to move it up. I looked at him like WTF? are you serious..I am very disappointed in all honda repair shops in my area..There are only 3 close to my house and by close 30miles..Uhg..

Can't help with a dealer in that area. Hopefully someone from that area wil reply. Check around at local marinas and boat yards. Also, there are some pretty good independents around most areas. Check out any who have training on Hondas.

Back