Logo

mercury 40hp 1980

Becky Watkins

Regular Contributor
hello all newbie to this forum and to outboards i was given a box of parts which is supposed to make up a mercury 40hp 1980 i've got pretty much everything back together apart from where the pipes go from the fuel filter to the box where 4 pipes come off and also what wires go where i will post a picture to try and make it easier to show what i mean but any help would be gratefull. regards paul

SAM_0619.jpgok so i have a fuel pipe coming from the top of the picture into what i presume is a fuel filter then out of that filter a pipe goes into some sort of distribution block wso lets start at the top right pipe the brass looking one (1) where does that go? going clockwise at about 4 o clock under the brass stop screw (2) where should that go and then the one at 7pm with the bent piece of pipe hanging at the bottom of the picture where does that go (3) many thanks if you can help

That block is the fuel pump. The pump diaphragm is inside there. It is air operated by the pistons. Those look like the water cooling lines. I used to take that part off and plug it. I have trouble with water getting in the engine. Not a very good design.

That block is the fuel pump. The pump diaphragm is inside there. It is air operated by the pistons. Those look like the water cooling lines. I used to take that part off and plug it. I have trouble with water getting in the engine. Not a very good design.
so which ones do i plug and which one goes to the fuel tank

SAM_0620.jpgok so my question on this one is what wires go to the condensers and does the starter motor only need that big yellow wire to run or does it need grounding

ok how about my next picture

Back