Logo

99 J90PLEEB 90 HP hard to start but runs fine boggs and goes dead

marvin1952

Thisis the same engine that I just replaced the rectifier. That fixed the no TACH and is now charging, It starts when you choke and will idle for a sort while then goes dead, I have to choke it when it over and over when it starts to go dead and throttle up for a minute or so. Then you can engage the gears and accelerate. The engine will run fine afterward and will idle the boat in gear, but if you kill the engine and set for a for a short time you have to go thru the hard start and coax it to pick up the fuel so I can take off again. I have looked for fuel line leaks and do not fine any. It acts like it is loosing prime once the engine idles for a time. Could this be a fuel pump week diagram or is there a check valve inline on the fuel line. The fuel filter stays full of fuel and the bulb stays hard. I am at a lost. Other wise the engine runs great???????

marvin thomas
[email protected]

cell 901-485-3712

I have the same motor and I am having problems myself. Mine starts/idles fine but when you give it throttle when its in the water it boggs down and dies. I have had this problem for a while now. So far I have rebuilt the fuel pump and carbs and I also installed an electric inline fuel pump 2-3.5 psi that actually made it run alot better but now I am so frusterated I am about to take it somewhere to get fixed.

I think I have mine fixed. I took carb spray and on the front of the carbs you have a brass air jet and below it is a hex head low speed adjustable screw jet, also remove, then the brass bowl screw remove, then I sprayed carb cleaner al thru the carb and blew all holes with air. Mine ran great yesterday. It may spit up another hairball but so far so good. I would have thought disassembling and cleaning the carbs should have fixed yours. You still have a low speed fuel issue some where. Good luck.

Back