Logo

Throttle twist grip siezed in BF75 Honda 7.5HP

eatonw1960

Hi all
Can anyone advise how to disassemble the twist grip/throttle mechanism?
Its locked up but the cable does not appear to be siezed as it had been quite free. I have backed off the friction adjusting screw accessed in the end of the grip but still cannot work out how to remove the works.
Any ideas much appreciated.
Cheers
Andrew

This thing is probably pretty corroded up so I would start by taking the entire handle bar off with cable and then setting it grip end down in a container of mild lubricant like WD-40. That is, if you are trying not to do any more damage. If you do a minor balancing act you can place it in a slender glass or jar and not need to use a gallon of the stuff. The rubber was assembled with adhesive and can be difficult to remove without damage. Once the rubber is removed, you can pretty much see how to proceed with the grip pipe itself.

The book shows two styles of "friction units" and is contingent on serial number. Either #1000004 thru #1299999 or 1300001 and subsequent. The early unit installs prior to putting the rubber on and the latter unit goes on after the rubber is on the pipe. Obviously, the later style needs to be removed prior to removing the rubber grip and may need some strategically placed rust penetrant to loosen the friction piece. Be careful here as I do not know how well the rubber will tolerate a powerful solvent like that stuff.

You can remove the grip pipe cover (the part installed ahead of the rubber grip) by aligning the word shift with the red dot on the handlebar. That is, if all that is still readable. When properly aligned, it pulls off and pushes on and should expose the "cable hinge" when off.

Then it is simply a matter of soaking all the metal parts in PB BLASTER rust buster (or equivalent)...( what am I saying??...PB BLASTER has no equivalent!...I digress...) and getting things all loosey goosey again. This takes patience since the corrosion can be unpredictable and the rust penetrant takes time to eat away at the stuff. Soaking the parts and placing them in direct sunshine helps as well as adding some heat from a heat gun or hair dryer.

If my scanner still worked, I'd send you a page but alas, it is kaput!
Good luck.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the advice! I'll give it a crack. PB Blaster sounds interesting, we have stuff call CRC which is mostly next to useless...plain old diesel works better. On the subject of corrosion or to be precise anti corrosion products, I cannot speak highly enough of an Australian product called Lanotec which is produced from lanolin. Magic stuff for spraying over engines and components, does not attack rubber and repells water. Since I found out about it, nothing is spared...everything gets a coating. Enough of my rambling, I'll soak that control arm and cable.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi all
Can anyone advise how to disassemble the twist grip/throttle mechanism?
Its locked up but the cable does not appear to be siezed as it had been quite free. I have backed off the friction adjusting screw accessed in the end of the grip but still cannot work out how to remove the works.
Any ideas much appreciated.
Cheers
Andrew
I realize this thread is old but in case someone else searches this one, here goes. If you hinge the tiller handle straight up, you will notice a small U shaped rubber plug on the bottom of the black plastic "Shift - Start - Fast" collar. If you pop that plug out with a small screwdriver it will reveal a screw (#13 on the parts diagram) that locks the grip pipe and rubber in place on the tiller handle. Unscrew and the rubber grip should slide right off revealing the throttle cable and sliding hinge. As well as replacing the cable I also gave the channel in the tiller handle a light sand to remove and roughness or corrosion then applied more lithium grease. It all works great now. Tricky parts are removing and replacing the small cable stopper (#14) that is held in place by screw #13 and locks the throttle cable in place in the handle. Also lining up the grip pipe (#9), white plastic grip pipe guide B (#17) and cable stopper (#14) so that the screw (#13) can be seated all the way in.

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hma/5095a862f87002227c2c93b1/handlebar-throttle-cable

Back