Logo

1965 40 hp super sea horse trouble

glenner

i have just got a 1965 40 hp electrimatic super seahorse and am having trouble getting it to stay running. it will turn over on starting fluid then die out within a few seconds i have replaced the fuel pump, cleaned and put carb repair kit on it, and chainged lower gear oil. it seems fuel will get to bowl on bottom of carb but no further any help will be greatly appreciated

Sure sounds like a fuel problem.----Was the orifice ( high speed jet ) found inside the carburetor bowl removed for cleaning ?---------Will spark jump a gap of 1/4" or better ?------Cracked and faulty ignition coils is common on those.------------Most motors from the 60's will either have 2 cracked coils or 2 new ones as they all failed.

First off stop using starting fluid it has no oil and you can damage the engine. If you need to prime it put some fuel mix into the spark plug holes. Is it getting good spark and how is the compression. You want at least 1/4 inch spark gap even more for electric start. It is a old motor dont expect real high compression numbers as long as they are even within 10% maximum. Allways confirm those two first. Put your hand over the carb while cranking do you feel vacuum pressure and does it flood the engine with fuel. Are the plugs new?

the Spark plugs are new i put J4c gapped at .030 in have not checked compression but if i take out a spark plug and put finger over the hole and give it a quick crank it will blow finger off the hole as for vacuum pressure i cant tell but don't really feel any real suction. it appears the fuel it getting into the carb bowl but no further than that

yeah i think it may be a fuel problem as well the carb was taken apart and cleaned and repair kit was put on and while i was cleaning i took out the stem that the high speed jet is on and cleaned it unless there is another high speed hole i didn't see new spark plugs J4c gapped at .030 how can you tell how far the spark will jump. what is the best way to check the coils?

when i put my hand over the carb when cranking no fuel is getting on my hand and i dont feel any suction i've tried taking the gasket off the stem to see if it was blocking the fuel from getting down into the area where the fuel would get into the high speed stem but to no avail fuel is not comming out of the carb bowl and getting into the engine

Last edited:
i am pretty sure i have installed the fuel pump correctly but i will check again. when i pull the lines from the carb fuel is coming out and after a few cranks it is pressurized and will spray out pretty far. i just recently replaced the float and the needle attached to the float the old one was stuck but the new one moves freely. the bowl fills up with fuel but the fuel goes no farther i will take off high speed shaft to see if it is clogged again. do you think some where like auto zone will have a compression tester to rent or is that something i will probably have to purchase?

are there more than just the two fuel lines one to pump and one from pump cause i have replaced those with the carb repair

You appear to be confused ------You use the term " high speed shaft "---------------The upper needle is the low speed fuel mixture adjustment.----------------Now, the high speed orifice ( fixed jet ) is hidden in the bottom of the float bowl and all the fuel must go thru it.---It must be removed and verified clean !

yes i am confused the fixed jet has been removed and cleaned and i just took it off again to verify that it is free of any blockages but im still not getting any fuel through it and cant figure out why but i will greatly appreciate any advice that can be given. i have the parts catalog but not the repair book

Last edited:
it is a brass tube that is about 4 or 5 inches long and has threds close to bottom where there is a slotted opening, that look about the same as the opening on the float valve assembly, on this side i put the gasket. on the other end it is open and about 2 inches from the top is a small hole in the side of the tube i dont see a number on it. when i put the bowl on it appears as if the bottom slides into the round chamber at the bottom of the bowl.

Last edited:
You are working on the nozzle in the upper part of the carburetor !!--------Not the high speed jet.---The high speed jet found in the bottom of the float bowl is about 3/4" long and should have the size stamped on it ( # 64 )--------You have to find the high speed jet and clean it .-----My guess is that it is plugged !!

Remove the drain plug.----------There is a special screw driver for the jet, but you can probably get it out with a 3/16" shank screw driver.

that was it you are the man racerone. i got it out and it was super clogged so i cleaned it out put it back in and it took a couple tries then fired right up and stayed running. so i let it run for about ten minutes then turned it of and repeated a few time and it fired right up every time. now i have to fine tune the carb needle on the top cause i replaced the gaskets and bushings. also i want to change some seals and gaskets on the lower gear oil case and the exhaust. i hope if i have any problems you will be able to help. once again thank you very much for all the help!!!!!!!

Back