Logo

1994 115 HP Outboard shutting off

jacorces

I recently bought a 1994 115 HP Mercury outboard. The motor was*owned by an elderly man who was not using it very much. Upon buying the motor I put in an new fuel filter,added fuel stabilizer and*checked the plugs. I have had the boat out*several times and encounter the same problem. The boat starts up fine and idles perfectly. However, after running at 3/4 throtle for 15-20 minutes the motor cuts off. The motor will restart immediately and idle perfect again. *I can then run the motor again at near full throtle but for a shorter time and the same thing happens.

Please help looking for some ideas.

Thank Jim

Hook up a timing light and check to see if you loose spark when it quits.---------------May also be a venting or a blockage problem on the fuel supply.--I hope you did install a new impeller on the cooling system after you bought it.

Hi Havenaclue,

Thanks for responding. Excuse my ignorance. When checking the stator I am assuming you measure resistance in the wiring cold and hot and the resistance goes up when it gets hot. Do you know what measurements to expect? I have not been able to find any numbers online. Can you make the measurements with the wires attached or do the wires need to be disconnected?

Thanks Jim

Racerone, thanks for responding,

Excure my ignorance. Yes I did install a new impeller. Is there a good method for isolating a fuel problem?

Thanks Jim

Back