Logo

1990 CC 197 Side Shifter Removal???

genuinegemini

I can't seem to figure out how the side shifter comes off of my 1990 Chris Craft 197 Concept Bowrider. It has an OMC 4.3L in it. I have tried everything to get the shifter off, but to no avail. Everyone keeps saying something about a set screw, but there isn't one. I have rotated the shifter forward and backward and there is no access point for a set screw. The housing on the back will not come apart either even after removing the three screws on the back. I took the center bolt out of the shifter and I can get it to come forward a bit where it will pivot back and forth freely, but it won't come off and appears to have a spring that pulls it back in when I let go. I read somewhere that I have a concealed shifter, but there were no detail on how to take it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my next step is a sledge hammer (j/k).

Attachments

• IMG_20120316_140544.jpg
    IMG_20120316_140544.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20120316_140634.jpg
    IMG_20120316_140634.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 55
Okay, so I finally figured it out and for future reference to anyone looking, here's how to remove a 1990 Chris Craft, Concealed OMC Side Shifter. Remove the plastic cover from the front of the shift handle. Remove the bolt from the center of the shift handle. Using a little force, pull the shifter handle off of the shaft. It may feel like it has a spring or something holding it on, but it doesn't. Just pull on it real good. Remove the three (3) screws from the outside edge of the flange and the three (3) screws from the center of the flange. The shift housing should seperate from the side-board with a little effort, and whala! Disassembly of the shift housing is self explanatory. Hope it helps someone in the future.

Back