Logo

Volvo Penta AQ 171C engines

I have a Coronet 22 Sport which has 2 x older Volvo Penta engines.
Now I would like to "up date" my boat with 2 x Volvo Penta 171C - engines.
I tried to fit 2 x V6 but it reqiures very much re-building and this does not work.
I can fit a V8, but I prefere the dual-engine-installation.

Where to find used Volvo Penta 171C engines in USA.

Thank you for any help.

Coronet 22 Sport.

I'd steer clear of the DOHC engine. Good engines, but apparently these can be expensive if major cylinder head repairs are needed.
The exhaust manifolds are also very expensive.

I'd sooner find a pair of single OHC 4's... perhaps AQ145's, and give them a try.

There is also a way to make the GM 3.0L work, but it gets a bit more involved with Port side exhaust, etc etc.
The Volvo GM SBC flywheel cover is needed to fit the rear engine flange pattern.
This works with the existing transom shield and drive.

I'd steer clear of the DOHC engine. Good engines, but apparently these can be expensive if major cylinder head repairs are needed.
The exhaust manifolds are also very expensive.

I'd sooner find a pair of single OHC 4's... perhaps AQ145's, and give them a try.

There is also a way to make the GM 3.0L work, but it gets a bit more involved with Port side exhaust, etc etc.
The Volvo GM SBC flywheel cover is needed to fit the rear engine flange pattern.
This works with the existing transom shield and drive.

To Ricardo,

I know all the "expensive problems", but I live in Sweden with good Volvo Penta-servicemen around, so I find ways to be "OK in price" for repairs.
I have old AQ 145's, but they are "tired" and if I find 2 x AQ 171C's the engines can be rebuilt here.
So, if I'm lucky, someone knows something of AQ 171C's (and it must be the C-type).

Rgds
Coronet 22 Sport.

Rick,

In Sweden almost all of the 171C-engines have been taken/purchased by the "rally-cross-drivers" and mounted into old Volvo-cars.

I will look around and hope to find some 171C's.

Best
Coronet 22 Sport.

Back