Logo

5 HP 4 stroke carb? Fuel Problem 2000 model

Koochman

I am at wits end trying to figure this out. I have a 2000 MFS5A that is like new. PLace up each year used only for a dingy. It will Not Idle at all now It also dies after 1-2 min even when pumping gas. I have tried to rebuild the carb and have anew fuel pump. Gas is clean all filters tended to and fresh gas every time. I NOW after all this frustration find I have what is classified as an OLD style carb on this thing its a 3R1BNL1 Can it be replaced with a newer carb or am I wasting my time. This motor has approx 20 hrs on it and is like brand new. I was going to place it on a Fishing boat 12 ft but it wont troll or preform . Any sensable ideas are greatfuly accepted . I am not a rookie at this Just very confused at this point.
Thanks

Last edited:
You have only part of the information, and have managed to get the cart ahead of the horse.

Tohatsu motors are not identified by year of manufacture, but rather by precise model/serial. The MFS4/5/6 came out around 1998, and is still in production. The 5A models came out before the B models, and those of course before the C models. So... "old" is relative. You have one of the earlier copies of the MFS5, which originally came with the 3H6032000 carburetor. The part numbering system is constantly being updated, and today, 3H6032000 is superceded to 3R1032001M. This carb also came on the 5A2. Of all carbs for the MFS5 available today, this is the best-performing, most reliable version of carburetor. In later years, the B (and now C) models have been released, in order to accommodate EPA emissions regulations. The newer style carbs interchange directly with the older carbs, so yes, you could put a newer style carb on the A series motor. But, given the option, I would always recommend the earlier-style carb for reasons of overall performance and reliability.

Yes, the most common problems on these motors are fuel-related... so the vast majority of repairs on these is to the carb... BUT... that does not mean that a competent mechanic should just jump into a repair without doing at least some diagnosis. If in fact you are suffering from a too-lean condition, particularly at low speeds, you are probably headed in the right direction by addressing the carb.

Why do you have a new fuel pump? Did the original one test bad? A bad/marginal fuel pump will normally limit top speeds, not idle speeds.

Did you attempt to clean the carb? If so, what method did you use? What did you do to "try" to rebuild it.

In the US, in over 85% of problems like yours, we find that the carb is suffering from varnishing in the low-speed and/or idle passages. This kind of varnishing, since it is inside the passages, is not visible to the ***** eye. It is also very resistant to garden-variety spray-can carb solvents. If you are convinced that you are running too lean at low speeds, you should clean the carb properly and thoroughly. If you did not do a full disassembly of the carb (including jet and emulsion tube nozzle), then submerge the non-rubber bits in real carb dip such as Tyme, for approximately 4 hours at room temperature, followed by a blow-out using generic carb spray, and then a careful reassembly, paying attention to float height, you would want to do that. There are no shortcuts here; "Mechanic in a Can spray" will not be aggressive enough to do the cleaning I am describing.

If you are unsuccessful with the cleaning... and are still sure that you are starving for fuel... and that the rest of the fuel system is good... you can replace the carb. If you are considering that option, you could increase your horsepower by 20%, by installing the carb for the 6A2. It is a direct interchange. The 5A is a de-tuned 6A; The de-tuning is accomplished by using a smaller carb on the 5 hp model. In that case, you could order 3R4032001M CARBURETOR ASSY, MFS/NSF6A2, $116.52, from any dealer, including me.

To reduce the occurrence of this kind of varnishing in the future, be certain to religiously run the carb dry at the end of each and every day.

I am at wits end trying to figure this out. I have a 2000 MFS5A that is like new. PLace up each year used only for a dingy. It will Not Idle at all now It also dies after 1-2 min even when pumping gas. I have tried to rebuild the carb and have anew fuel pump. Gas is clean all filters tended to and fresh gas every time. I NOW after all this frustration find I have what is classified as an OLD style carb on this thing its a 3R1BNL1 Can it be replaced with a newer carb or am I wasting my time. This motor has approx 20 hrs on it and is like brand new. I was going to place it on a Fishing boat 12 ft but it wont troll or preform . Any sensable ideas are greatfuly accepted . I am not a rookie at this Just very confused at this point.
Thanks

THank you so much We have few mechanics here that can even spell tohatsu let alone repair them
I would be interested in more talk if you would . my email is [email protected] Id apprechiate it . I, in defence ran my carb dry each fall and used gas prep along with fogging . If it was poor gas film Im really suprised.
Thank you I have learned much
Phil

THank you so much We have few mechanics here that can even spell tohatsu let alone repair them
I would be interested in more talk if you would . my email is [email protected] Id apprechiate it . I, in defence ran my carb dry each fall and used gas prep along with fogging . If it was poor gas film Im really suprised.
Thank you I have learned much
Phil :)

Phil,

Happy to help out. You can drop me an email at the office: [email protected]. Running the carb dry in the fall is not adequate; on any newer, EPA-rated, carbureted outboard (of any brand), running US fuels, you must run it out at the end of each and every day it was used. If the fuel sits in the carb, for even 2 weeks, varnish will form.

Fogging is nice for winter storage (reduces rusting), and stabilizer is OK in the gas (slows rotting of the fuel). But there is no substitute for using gas that is fresh -- no older than 30 days, and always always always running the carb out at the end of the day.

As for the local mechanics not understanding Tohatsu... it is the same identical motor as a Nissan. It is also the same powerhead as any 4-stroke Mercury of 30 hp and below. And for 2012, it is the same as any Evinrude of 15hp and below. Tohatsu builds them all.

Tohatsu is so wrong for putting a flimsy plastic part to control the throttle shaft ! It disintegrates without warning

I have researched this motor extensively The 6 hp has a different cam shaft part number

While on the subject why did Tohatsu put a compression release in the design ?

What should the compression be ?

Incorrect on all counts. Apparently you need to do more -- or at least better -- research.

1. The throttle mechanism on these is rock solid. The only time I have ever replaced a throttle opener and/or drum was when a customer had run without any water, and overheated the motor so badly that plastic parts on the powerhead melted. I figure that was about 1 minute before the fuel tank was gong to explode. FWIW, that motor did not seize, and did not need a rebuild; just some new bits (and a water pump), and it was "off to the races". Rock solid design. That said, some idiot, ham-fisted, shade tree, wanna-be mechanic... could possibly break one while removing the carb.

2. As for the cam, the 4 and 5 and 6 all use the same identical 3R4070101M CAMSHAFT ASSY., MFS/NSF4A2/5A2/6A2.

3. What do you think the purpose of any compression release on any motor would be? Perhaps easier cranking? Hmm. Yep, that's why they build 'em!

4. Do you mean compression while hand cranking (with the release operating), or in operation? All the specification information you will ever need, and more, is in the Factory service manual.

Tommy,

Drop me an email at the office: [email protected] and I'll be happy to help you with your throttle parts. If it has broken twice, maybe it was not installed correctly. I will need your actual model/serial. Or you can call 716-877-8221 M-F 9-7 Eastern.

Back