Logo

Need help: 71 chris craft with 350FLV motor

71ChrisCraft

Hi Everyone I just got a 1971 Chris Craft 19 foot boat, with a 350 FLV motor model.
The engine runs, but the propeller won't spin, i try to put in gear and it does nothing. Also
I put the hose attachment to the outside motor where the propeller is, and its not spitting water out
of ports.

PLEASE HELP

any advice with help

Thank you for your help.

I'm also Selling boat on ebay ,If interested please contact me.

OK... that sure helps, but we're not quite there yet.

It would sure help to see the engine, and perhaps more of the drive.
The drive is definitely Volvo Penta, and is very likely a 250... but I'd need to see more of it.

The OEM exhaust has been circumvented and is now what's called "Thru Transom" exhaust.
Since the previous owner did this with the exhaust...., he may have also circumvented the OEM sea water path, and did a thru hull pick up system.
If so, that may explain why you're not getting any cooling water.
This is why more photos would be very helpful

FYI: by running witout cooling water, you have probably and completely damaged your sea water pump impeller.... and perhaps blistered the interior of your rubber exhaust components.

Do you by chance have any friends who are experienced boat owners who'd be wiling to help you????

Meanwhile... more photos... the more the better. :D :D

Now we're getting somewhere.

The drive is a 250... unlikely, but possibly an early 270.
The fill port in the Intermediate and inserts in the suspension fork tell me this.

The old Chris Craft stuff doesn't tell me much. I'd not replace any of it with CC parts... especially the exhaust.
I'd go newer and universal if need be.

OK... the OEM sea water connection is being used. The water neck fitting at the drive is probably corroded and is failing. You need to replace this part.

attachment.php

I checked that part its a little corroded but the hose still fits on there snugly; so this would be the problem why its not sucking water in exhaust?
my next question is why won't the Propeller turn or spin.

Nothing sucks water into the exhaust.
The sea water pump on the engine pulls water up and through the drive.
From there, on to the engine where the engine circulating pump charges the cooling system with mild water pressure.
Meanwhile what the engine doesn't require, goes right on out the exhaust.

The system is a zero sum gain, in that what goes in, also comesout!

As for no gear engagement:
Remove the rear shift cover.
Look at the cable connection, the linkage arm, SS cotter pins, and make sure that the throttle/shift unit it actuating the eccentric piston.
It will look similar to this 290 Volvo Penta drive.

images

Last edited:
I greatly Thank you for helping me out on this issue i have.
your very knowledge on CC boats.
You are welcome.... and, No... I'm not knowledgeable on the CC boats.
I just happen to be familiar with the AQ series Volvo Penta engines/drives. I do V/P parts/repairs.

BTW, if the shift linkage is not the problem, your next step will be to remove the shift mechanism at the rear of the transmission (aka upper unit).
If that's not it... then there are only a few other possibilities.

Broken shift shoe.
Water in gear oil.
Wrong gear oil.
Bad sliding sleeve.
Vertical shaft coupler is gone.
Drive coupler is gone.
Universal shaft is gone.

Last edited:
Back