- Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Search by Part Number
Enter engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Why shop with us? Check our reviews! Why Us & Reviews   Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Default New member old motor

Hello everyone I just acquired an old Ted Williams clutch drive (ESKA) outboard and I fist emptied the tank of the old gas in it put some cleaner gas I had leftover (not fresh) from another 2cycle motor I use. I got it to run & it was vibrating quite a bit & all the bolts were loose so I shut it down & removed the powerhead to tighten the allen bolts that were loose connecting the engine to the lower plate. Tried to restart it after reassembling everything & it wont start. I proceeded to drain the tank & got the crud out of the lines, bought fresh gas,oil, and fuel stabilizer, emptied carb bowl & made sure it was clean. Still no start. I removed the carb & it appears the PO had rebuilt it recently because everything was very clean and new internally even the pump was intact. I reassembled the carb, no start. pulled the plug noticed its a champion rj13lm not a Y but it was clean & producing a spark and gapped at .030. I did notice it was wet though. blew some compressed air into the cylynder put the plug back in still no start. I am wondering what else could it be? every once in a while I get a pop like it tries to fire but its far & few between. By now my right arm is definitely larger than my left. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe my spark isn't hot enough so I am going to get the right plug today & try that. Should I look at the points? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    BTW the motor tag is 643-14A Sears Mod# 217.59431

Default Re: New member old motor

Got new plug still no go. I do have spark with the new plug and after repeated attempts I eventually flood the motor. I'm pulling my hair out on this one.

I have the same issue wish I knew what it was

maplevalley WA

Are you testing the spark with a open air spark gap tester? It should jump a gap of at least 1/4 inch brite blue snap. Also what is the compression. Are you sure the motor is not flooding first pull? Pull the spark plug and pull on the rope about five times with the choke off and then put the plug in and see if she pops with the choke off?