Logo

Trolling motor help

JHamilton99

Hi, I am converting a jon boat into a bass boat, I have an old motor guide magnum 740 12v 35lb foot controled trolling motor. I want to use this on my jon boat, my question is what do I plug it into? Is there some kind of panel I can get to plug it into that hooks to my batterys? Any info would be helpfull, ty.

you can buy either the plug that goes on the trolling motor itself or the one for the boat or both on this site..they are not cheap anywhere but are discounted here...make sure the wire you run back to the battery is heavy enough...go to boat accessories and trolling motors etc....i have used this site to buy from and the delivery is prompt etc...

​I think all i need is a female receptical to plug the acctual motor into, then hook the receptical up to my battery that I will be useing to power my trolling motor with?

''I think all i need is a female receptical to plug the acctual motor into, then hook the receptical up to my battery that I will be useing to power my trolling motor with?''

You're first post asks about a panel.....................

"Is there some kind of panel I can get to plug it into that hooks to my batterys?"

Anyway, again, make sure you use marine wire in the right gauge for expected current draw and the appropriate circuit breaker.

and make sure the breaker or fuse is easily assessable....use delay type on whichever you install...if you fish in shallow water with cover its gonna blow....i personally run my trolling motor off a dedicated battery and have bypassed the fuse for every boat i even owned...just gotta be aware and dont over do it when the motor gets clogged with grass etc...

''I think all i need is a female receptical to plug the acctual motor into, then hook the receptical up to my battery that I will be useing to power my trolling motor with?''

You're first post asks about a panel.....................

"Is there some kind of panel I can get to plug it into that hooks to my batterys?"

Anyway, again, make sure you use marine wire in the right gauge for expected current draw and the appropriate circuit breaker.
I asked abouit a panel because i had no idea how to hook the motor up, after doing some reasearch I think all I need is a receptical to hook to a battery, yes I will use the correct wires....... will someone answer my question though? am i right about the reseptical?

Back