Logo

Crank-mounted sea water pump

actthree

I notice that Rick aka Ricardo had asked in a previous thread about the availability of crank-driven raw water pumps for Chrysler marine engines. I overhauled the cooling systems on my Chrysler 360s this winter and I looked all over for that type of pump. I found a number for SBC and BBC engines but nothing that will bolt up to the crankshaft pulley on a small block Chrysler.

I put crank-driven seawater pumps on the GM 350s in my last boat and it was the best thing I ever did to those cooling systems. I eliminated one belt completely and the plumbing connections were much easier with the pump mounted right on the front of the engine.

I found that these pumps were very engine specific. The mounting flange on the pump has to match the bolt pattern on the crankshaft pulley exactly and the pump comes with an arm that attaches the pump to an unused boss on the GM engine. That keeps the pumps from spinning. Sounds odd but it works great.

If anyone knows if pumps like this exist for small block Chryslers, I'd love to know where.

Bill

Bill, I fully agree.... this is the style pump to use when possible. In most cases, the impeller is very easy to remove. I remove mine during each lay up.
You can extend the impeller life if these are removed for the lay up.

Unfortunately, I've never found one machined other than for the GM or Ford.
I suppose that the flange could be re-machined to accommodate the Chrysler.
The shaft can be pressed out for any work that would need to be done.

BTW, the torque arm is not completely necessary. The suction and supply hoses easily handle the mild torque.
The bearing(s) or impeller would have to seize up in order to cause a major issue.
Been running mine for years with no torque arms.

Back