Logo

'69 johnson 25hp rebuild a success! :D Need imput on 1 last issue with the gear case/shifting issue

Well, a lot of good advice from this site got my motor running mint! I gave it a honing job, new rings, head gasket, intake gasket, crank seals, another seal that goes on top of the drive shaft, main seal on the prop shaft, new impeller and plate, grommets, o-rings, and a new prop. And probably a couple other things i cant think of now. I set the points at .20. I adjusted the carb which was way off sync. I pulled it over to start it and it was literally hard to pull! After about 4 pulls it fired. The one after that it started. Let it idle for a couple mins. Smoked pretty good. turn the low speed needle in a bit. Let it run a few more mins and shut it off. Went to start it again and that thing started so nice and with very little effort. Then I went to put it in forward and nothing. I could feel in the shifter that the clutch dog was hitting the gear just barely. Put it in neutral rite away. Then went to shift it into reverse and it was like it couldnt wait to get in. reverse worked good. So good that when I gave it a little throttle it dumped my barrel with 30+ gallons of water all over me! Ha. So, Is it the shift linkage thats not hooked up right? Are the forward and reverse gears the same? Might have gotten them mixed up cuz when I had it taken apart they slid off when i least expected them to. Can u install the shifter lever or cradle wrong? The clutch dog and both gears looked good. It had very little wear. It went into gear fine before I did this rebuild. Could it have been cause it was only 30 degrees outside and had new lower unit oil? I'm Stumped. Thanks again for all the help:D

You may have missed getting the shift rods properly into the coupler in the leg. Remove the cover on the leg, remove the screws holding the shift rod and check that both screws goes into the slots on both the upper and lover vertical rod.

The shift rod doesn't sit where it should in the gear case. The cradle sits almost in the middle of the gears when it's in forward. Ordered a new shift rod. Hopefully that works unless the upper shift rod isn't in right. Hmmmm

I'll try that this weekend. I left the coupler on the top shaft. The lower shaft was bent in like 3 places so tried straightening it. I guess it turns out that the lower shift rod has bends in it. Oh well. I'll post by Saturday what I figure out. Thanks

Back