Logo

New boat Volvo D6 370 or 400 stern drive should stay away or odrer? Help

f3504x4ps

I'm looking to order a new boat and the engine option is D6-370 or D6-400 stern drive in a Formula 400SS. I have only had marine gas engines. I do own a 03 Ford F350 with IH 7.3 TD. (7.3 Power stroke). I have read several posts that they would never purchase a boat with Volvo power due to worse than poor customer service. I expect to put 100hrs per year Chicago, Lake Mich fresh water, then will move boat to FL eastern side Cape Canaveral. I will do my own service using quality oil and WIX filters. Should I stay away or go with the Volvo D6-400? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

You got one of the best truck engines out there, I have 01 dually PSD and its bulletproof. D6 is a great motor, especially since you will have factory warranty on it by buying new - with option of buying extended coverage. It is electronically controlled, so there is about $6000 worth of computer equipment sitting on top of it, but lake use will be gentle on all that. I presume drive is either DP-H or DP-R? Parts are not a problem, they are expensive but so will be Cummins / Yanmar. I would ask dealer to get me in touch with few other Formula owners from the area that are running same setup, and talk to them about real-world performance and ownership experience. Honest dealer would not have a problem doing this, if they are proud of this boat/engine package as a whole. Is this single on twin engine installation? If single, its probably underpowered even at 400

15w40 Rotella synthetic, and Volvo filter....dont use Wix

The boat is twin engine and will use the DPH drive. Why not Wix filters? I was always one to use the filter that the MFG has made for them since it never voids your warranty but Wix has always been a great product. I'm waiting on specs from Formula on the D6-400, the 370 moves the boat at 47/48 WOT with G7 prop. I was told the 400 should be 54 w/G7 prop. I know the 400 is new and a read that it was a 435 detuned but not 100% on that. I have read to stay away from Volvo due to poor customer support. The other choices are gas Merc engines 8.2mag HO or the 525 racing engine. I just am worried if I don't use the boat much the first several yeas till I bring it to south east Florida. Just worried about the salt water and internal rust decreasing longevity of the engines. Just worried about doing the right choice.

Rich

For oil you want Volvo filters, its a better element than Wix and oil is crucial for motor longevity. If 400 is 435 detuned, it sounds good. Just make sure its not 370 boosted to 400 :)

If you can afford price difference and get diesel, you will get better fuel economy and better resale value. I have several commercial clients with older mechanical 370 hp (TAMD 63P) and some have over 20,000 hours in saltwater

stringer_bell,

Thank you for the reply, I will look at purchasing the filters through a Volvo dealer. The D6-400 is a brand new build for 2011 year. I read on another site that it is a detuned D6-435 but I'm not sure since on vovlo's site they had a press release late in the year 2010. And per Formula they were the first MFG in the US to have installed and tested in their 400 Super Sport boat. I have been leaning toward the diesel since looking at the boat but just have no real experance for a Diesel in the marine world.

Thanks For your input. any other input would be great.

Back