Logo

1986 pcm 4140 rebuid...need help

jet lite

hi all. i just recent purchased a 17ft almar jet boat for a steal of a price. i got it so cheap cause the head was trashed and the guy who owned it was told the motor was too. i loked at it and the block,pistons,and crank are all fine.but since the motor is outta the boat i wouldnt mind going thru and putting new rod and main bearings in it and rebuild whatever else needs to be freshened up.my prob is where in the world do i get parts. i have a local shop that sprcialies in the head for it but all of the internal parts.....?? i also need a new fuel pump.i know that these were similar to the motors in the mitz mighty max truck. does anyone know of a automotive engine that is the same?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your local shop can get head parts, no reason they can't get block parts...did you ask yet?

There's a lot of posts on the www for 'equivalents' as well as parts....use your search engine.

I'm not familar with what PCM is calling the 4140.
When I just now did a search, it comes up as a Ford 351. Is that correct?
If so, I presume this is the Windsor version?

I have a pair of mid 90's Volvo Penta 5.8L cylinder heads w/ 6 hrs on them.
(engine was determined to be bad after cylinder head replacement)
I would love to find someone who can used them.

The PCM 4140 is a mitsubishi Engine, 2.6 4 cylinder, as used on the mighty max truck. There are a few differences, the distributor and starter are a marine version and the oil pan is slightly different ( on my application, at least), but the rest should be the same.
I replaced the head on mine and used one for the car application, without any problems. My engine is the 4G54 (also known as the G54B).
The same engine was used on the shamrock 170 and on the Irvette 17'8, you can find more info on www.fishtheclassic.net , and as far as spares I was able to find most marine parts I needed on www.skidim.com .
Good luck!

Back